ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT V5 on Windows 7 CRASHES all the time!

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

ADRIFT V5 on Windows 7 CRASHES all the time!

Postby TommoHawk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:36 pm

ADRIFT V5 crashes on Win7 after playing game for a little while. It seems to be random and freezes whole game, even when simply moving from room to room! .Net2.0 as well as other versions of .NET are installed correctly by the way!
TommoHawk

Re: ADRIFT V5 on Windows 7 CRASHES all the time!

Postby Denk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:09 pm

The "only" crashes I am aware of (that's bad enough) when playing ADRIFT 5 games on PC has happened on a laptop with a touch pad. I have never been able to reproduce such crashes deliberately, but I found that the ADRIFT Runner sometimes crashes if I touch the touch pad accidentally while playing. Well, it doesn't crash directly, but it comes up with some sort of error messsage where I can choose to shut down ADRIFT and another choice I don't remember, since I cannot reproduce the error deliberately.

So I always disable the touch pad (F6 on my laptop) while playing an ADRIFT game on my laptop. When I do that, ADRIFT never crashes.

I am using Windows 10 but used to use ADRIFT on Windows 7 without problems, except the problem mentioned above, which disappears when I disable the touch pad.

I can't say why it is happening to you, but it would be good to know how many people experience such crashes, so thank you for letting us know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby TommoHawk » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

Not sure if this is where the problem is in Win 7, but when the Map is viewable I also managed to crash the game while clicking on it or it being active and only using command texts to move!
TommoHawk

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 am

Do you get any error message? Or if not, what does it say in the Windows Event log?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0