Combined Library Release 2.1 Out

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
Denk

Re: Combined Library Release 2 Demo (beta)

Post by Denk »

R2T1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:26 am Looking good.
Just thought of another synonym for CLIMB - SCALE. As in Scale a wall or scale up/down a cliff, etc.

Otherwise I think you have caught the most common uses and authors can always override the case they need.
Thanks, I might as well include SCALE.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Post by Denk »

Lazzah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 am Being pedantic, what about ASCEND and DESCEND?
Good idea, I will add those too.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Post by Denk »

Lazzah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 am I wouldn't consider STAND OFF or OUT OF OBJECT as being correct English. I could never understand why this was a verb used in the original command line. STAND UP or STAND ON OBJECT are the only instances where I might use that verb in normal speech.
Okay, I will just remove the word STAND from the task "CLIMB OFF object".
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Re: Combined Library Release 2 Demo (beta 18)

Post by Denk »

Hi, I have now included all the discussed proposals in this thread, except for we still have the response type "Here, you cannot go starboard." instead of telling the player where they can go instead when using nautical directions. There are simply too many bugs in ADRIFT when it comes to restrictions checking available directions. It is fairly easy for the author to text override these responses for chosen locations.

The newest beta-version I am working on is beta18. Below I have attached a demo using beta18 and an "empty" taf, which only contains the library.

In a week I plan to upload the final Release 2 of the Combined Library, so you have a week to come with proposals if you think something should be changed. If it takes too long, feel free to remind me ;)
Release2beta18demo.taf
Demo of R2 beta 18
(31.73 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Release2beta18empty.taf
"empty" R2 beta 18
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

How do we go about it if we download version 2 and use that instead of version 1.
Will the current .taf file still work as normal?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 60Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:21 pm How do we go about it if we download version 2 and use that instead of version 1.
Will the current .taf file still work as normal?
Sorry, don't think this can be answered with yes or no ;)

Once I release the amf-file, you can replace version 1 with that. However, unless you untick version 2, a game you are working on, which contains version 1, can get automatically updated to version 2 though it depends on your library settings. Thus I recommend that you always untick libraries whenever you load a game you are working on unless you deliberately want to update it.

If you choose to update it, I recommend the setting: Prompt per item

Then you will be asked for each task that is replaced, but not new tasks, which will be automatically included.

Whether this creates problems depends on what you have done. If you have modified a task in the library, that change might not be compatible with the new version.

Also, if you have a specific task, which overrides a task that is changed in version 2, it might not make sense anymore. For instance, if you have a specific task overriding the "Climb object"-task for climbing down an object, you could with version 1 type e.g. CLIMB DOWN LADDER. and the "Climb object"-task in version 1 would run as the task handled both climb up and down. But in version 2, the "climb object" task is for climbing up, and another has been added for climbing down. So you would have to modify such specific tasks.

So I guess unless you have a good reason to do so (check the readme to see if you really need any of the updates in your game), there is no reason to update the library in your game.

If you would like some of the updates, you can give it a try and see if everything works well. If not, it can probably be fixed. But if you update the library in an already finished game, I would recommend a new round of beta-testing. Whatever you do, save often :)
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Post by Denk »

I already found a few things that need changing in beta18:

1 Consider adding CLIMB to the task "Leave current object".

2. Just saw, that the version 1 already has "Get Onto Object" which includes CLIMB but is in another folder. Thus we have two tasks doing the same, though there are a few differences. I should merge them.

3. I think we should add ENTER and LEAVE tasks. Thus I propose the following:

- If the player simply types ENTER (no object), this should correspond to IN.

- If the player simply types LEAVE (no object), this should correspond to OUT.

- We should have an ENTER STANDARD OBJECT task and a LEAVE STANDARD OBJECT task. These should run when the object does NOT have the property "Characters can go inside this object". For instance, many players might type ENTER HOUSE. The current Enter task cannot be overridden unless the house is made an enterable container, which would create other problems, such as you could put objects in it. With such tasks, it will be much easier to override ENTER/LEAVE objects.
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Sounds like a good idea.-
And thanks for the info regarding the new version of the combined library.
Denk

Post by Denk »

Denk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:57 pm I already found a few things that need changing in beta18:

1 Consider adding CLIMB to the task "Leave current object".

2. Just saw, that the version 1 already has "Get Onto Object" which includes CLIMB but is in another folder. Thus we have two tasks doing the same, though there are a few differences. I should merge them.

3. I think we should add ENTER and LEAVE tasks. Thus I propose the following:

- If the player simply types ENTER (no object), this should correspond to IN.

- If the player simply types LEAVE (no object), this should correspond to OUT.

- We should have an ENTER STANDARD OBJECT task and a LEAVE STANDARD OBJECT task. These should run when the object does NOT have the property "Characters can go inside this object". For instance, many players might type ENTER HOUSE. The current Enter task cannot be overridden unless the house is made an enterable container, which would create other problems, such as you could put objects in it. With such tasks, it will be much easier to override ENTER/LEAVE objects.
The above improvements have now been implemented, though the new tasks got slightly different names than first proposed. The demo is attached below. I plan to upload the official Release 2 in a week unless someone would like me to change/add something.
Attachments
CombinedLibraryR2beta19demo.taf
(29.73 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Combined Library Release 2 Finally Out

Post by Denk »

EDIT: The newest release (2.1) can be found through this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12776&p=108962#p108962

---- original post ......
PLEASE REMEMBER only to select this library if you either:
A) Are writing a new game from scratch
B) Want to update the library in an existing game

PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR GAME before you try to update the library in that game.

Because, whenever you open an older game in the Developer, the library in that game will be overridden with the new library. And this is not recommended for games where you have already been adding a lot of tasks.

Code: Select all

READ ME FOR Release 2:
Compared to Release 1, the following has been added:

1. Bug fix: A comment was not finished with a ">", in task "Ask about (lazy)", which created problems.
2. The word "about" is now mandatory in ASK ABOUT tasks and TELL ABOUT tasks.
3. Added task "Ask and Tell response when not understood" to avoid responses to e.g. "Ask John flowers" where the response would be "I do not understand the word 'flowers'" even if "flowers" is a known topic.
4. Added task "Tell character to do something". This task also contains the command: "%character%, %text%"
5. Added 3 tasks for ASKing a character FOR something (standard, Lazy and "ask for subject").
6. A folder "Shoot and Fire" has been added to the library. It contains four "shoot"-tasks. Whenever it makes sense, FIRE is a synonym for SHOOT. E.g. it makes sense to "SHOOT/FIRE GUN AT BANDIT" but it doesn't make sense to FIRE BANDIT, only SHOOT BANDIT.
7. Nautical directions implemented. Is controlled by variables "VesselDirections" and "AllowCompassOnVessels".
8. The original CLIMB OBJECT task has been split into two: Climb up object AND Climb down object
9. The following tasks were modified to account for CLIMB: Leave object, Player Movement, Go Inside object
10. The word "from" has been included as optional in the CLIMB DOWN OBJECT task.
11. Two new tasks for non-enterable containers:
 - Enter object (not enterable container)
 - Leave object (not enterable container)

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
--------------------------------------
Known problems:
1. When the player is wearing or carrying an openable object, which is closed, INVENTORY will give the player a misleading response, e.g.:

"Nothing is on or inside the box."

The author must therefore text override such sentences.
README for Combined Library version 1 (20_Oct_2020):
Compared to saabie's library of 4th September 2020, the following things have been improved:
1. Inventory handles objects within objects within objects better now.
2. The player can now get things from carried containers by type TAKE 'OBJECT', i.e. it isn't necessary to add FROM 'CONTAINER' anymore.
3. EXAMINE now works for both characters and objects, if a character and an object share the same noun.
4. TAKE now works for both characters and objects, if a character and an object share the same noun.
5. General task "Take STATIC Objects" created, where it is a restriction that the object is static. If so, print "You can't take %object%.name.", for the purpose of being overwritten when trying to take static objects.
6. Ensures that you cannot put an object inside itself.
Last edited by Denk on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Combined Library Release 2 Finally Out

Post by P/o Prune »

Thanks, Denk. :thanks:
I have downloaded and installed the new release and it seems to work ok.
One thing,
In your nautical player movement task, your response to the command is : "You move starboard."
I don't want to be nitpicking, and I don't even know if I'm right, but shouldn't that be. "You move to (towards) starboard" ?
Like I said, it may just be me, but the current response doesn't sound quite right to me.
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 am Thanks, Denk. :thanks:
I have downloaded and installed the new release and it seems to work ok.
One thing,
In your nautical player movement task, your response to the command is : "You move starboard."
I don't want to be nitpicking, and I don't even know if I'm right, but shouldn't that be. "You move to (towards) starboard" ?
Like I said, it may just be me, but the current response doesn't sound quite right to me.
I am not sure, I would need someone who has English as their mother tongue to tell us?

If "You move starboard." is wrong, then whatabout "You move north." and "You move up." and "You move out." etc. are they all correct or are some of them wrong too?
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Denk wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:20 pm I am not sure, I would need someone who has English as their mother tongue to tell us?

If "You move starboard." is wrong, then whatabout "You move north." and "You move up." and "You move out." etc. are they all correct or are some of them wrong too?
Like I said, I'm not sure. I know that you move north and up and out are correct. It is just that when I was in the RDAF we used "Go to starboard, or Go to port. But we also "only" used "Go forward, and go aft"

In Danish.
Det er vel lidt alá problematikken på dansk hvor man siger: Du går ud, du går op, men normalt vil sige "Du går mod nord, syd, øst eller vest" går jeg ud fra.
Kan du følge mig?
(Sorry guys. But it was just easier to explain it in Danish :wink: )
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

The correct phrases, as P/o states, are "You move TO port/starboard." and "You move Forward/Aft". You can say "You move TO THE north, etc,." but not "You move TO north." and neither would you say "You move TO THE port/starboard/forward/aft."

Yes, English can be a strange language!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Denk

Combined Library Release 2.1 Out

Post by Denk »

Thanks P/O and Lazzah. I have now corrected the mistake and released version 2.1:
http://www.adrift.co/game/1591

Code: Select all

READ ME FOR Release 2.1:
"move port" changed to "move to port" and "move starboard" changed to "move to starboard".

READ ME FOR Release 2:
Compared to Release 1, the following has been added:

1. Bug fix: A comment was not finished with a ">", in task "Ask about (lazy)", which created problems.
2. The word "about" is now mandatory in ASK ABOUT tasks and TELL ABOUT tasks.
3. Added task "Ask and Tell response when not understood" to avoid responses to e.g. "Ask John flowers" where the response would be "I do not understand the word 'flowers'" even if "flowers" is a known topic.
4. Added task "Tell character to do something". This task also contains the command: "%character%, %text%"
5. Added 3 tasks for ASKing a character FOR something (standard, Lazy and "ask for subject").
6. A folder "Shoot and Fire" has been added to the library. It contains four "shoot"-tasks. Whenever it makes sense, FIRE is a synonym for SHOOT. E.g. it makes sense to "SHOOT/FIRE GUN AT BANDIT" but it doesn't make sense to FIRE BANDIT, only SHOOT BANDIT.
7. Nautical directions implemented. Is controlled by variables "VesselDirections" and "AllowCompassOnVessels".
8. The original CLIMB OBJECT task has been split into two: Climb up object AND Climb down object
9. The following tasks were modified to account for CLIMB: Leave object, Player Movement, Go Inside object
10. The word "from" has been included as optional in the CLIMB DOWN OBJECT task.
11. Two new tasks for non-enterable containers:
 - Enter object (not enterable container)
 - Leave object (not enterable container)

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
Known problems:
1. When the player is wearing or carrying an openable object, which is closed, INVENTORY will give the player a misleading response, e.g.:

"Nothing is on or inside the box."

The author must therefore text override such sentences.
README for Combined Library version 1 (20_Oct_2020):
Compared to saabie's library of 4th September 2020, the following things have been improved:
1. Inventory handles objects within objects within objects better now.
2. The player can now get things from carried containers by type TAKE 'OBJECT', i.e. it isn't necessary to add FROM 'CONTAINER' anymore.
3. EXAMINE now works for both characters and objects, if a character and an object share the same noun.
4. TAKE now works for both characters and objects, if a character and an object share the same noun.
5. General task "Take STATIC Objects" created, where it is a restriction that the object is static. If so, print "You can't take %object%.name.", for the purpose of being overwritten when trying to take static objects.
6. Ensures that you cannot put an object inside itself.
The Bash Saga: