ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Startup Error

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Startup Error

Postby Isven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Im not sure such problem was mentioned before (I searched but still).

While opening Adrift runner I get a window saying: Startup Error: Input string was not in a correct format.

with some gibberish in the "stack trace". I put it here in case it is of any help:

at ...ctor(String sErrorMessage, Exception ex)
at ADRIFT.SharedModule.‹(String sMessage, Exception ex)
at ..(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
at ..(String[] )

Needles to say, I can't open any files, becouse of similiar problem.

Pardon my english.
Isven

Re: Startup Error

Postby Campbell » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 pm

What language settings are you running with?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Isven » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm

For non-Unicode programs i set to English (UK), and Adrift 4.0 worked with that without complains. Any other language settings would be in polish.
(Well, maybe apart from windows interface, or what it's called. That I prefer in english).
Isven

Postby Nyerkh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm actually having a similar issue. Older versions work fine, but 5 has that "Startup Error : Input string was not in a correct format".
I'm now running with the non-unicode in French, though I've also been in English (US), (UK) and that didn't help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Stack trace, if needed
at ...ctor(String sErrorMessage, Exception ex)
at ADRIFT.SharedModule.‹(String sMessage, Exception ex)
at ..(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
at ..(String[] )
Nyerkh

Postby Nyerkh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 pm

I would have edited my previous post, but moderation and all that. Apologies for the double-post.
Anyways, I figured it out as soon as I was finished writing (and am a bit ashamed I didn't think of it earlier).

I'm guessing it's a decimal marker thing, what with some languages using a period and some a comma.
What I know for sure is that using the english standards and format solve the adrift issue (at the risk of screwing up things elsewhere, I guess).
If that's really the issue, it should be correctable without too much pain ; if not, I just hope that helps narrowing it down.
Nyerkh

Postby Isven » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't want to sound impatient (seriously, I don't), but is there anything I could do on my end to help overcome this obstacle and actually make the runner work? Or is it something to fix in next version?
I know you probably have lots of things to do already with Adrift 5.0, but since this rather basic problem... well. Is there something someone could do? Or post any specifications?

P.S. "Basic" as in "First encoutered", not necessarily "simple".
Isven

Postby Campbell » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Damn, sorry about that. I thought I had already fixed that in the last release. It is now fixed in 5.0.19. Until that is out you should be able to get it to load by ensuring the decimal place separator is a dot rather than a comma in your regional settings.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Isven » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Well, that worked. It's those small differences among nations that makes life so hard somedays...

Thanks for the help. Or rather thanks for both the help and creating Adrift. I'll be sure to donate, when I'll have an opportunity.
Isven

Postby Crammer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Sorry for dig. But I have that problem too :| Im using American English or Polish - and got that error too. Stack:
w ‘...ctor(String sErrorMessage, Exception ex)
w ADRIFT.SharedModule.(String ™, Exception ‚)
w ‘..(String ž†,  ž,  Ÿ, Boolean , DateTime , ˆ& , Int64 , Boolean )
w ‘..(String ž†, Boolean )
w ‘..—(Object , EventArgs )
w System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
w System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
w System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
w System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
w System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
w System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
w System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
w System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
w System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
w System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
w System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
w System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)

I really have no idea what should I try now (changed loccation, language few times... maybe Im just kinda stupid :|). Oh - "w"mean "at";) And I have latest ADRIFT (5.030).
Crammer

Postby Campbell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 am

Can you try running regedit.exe, and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings, and delete the key ADRIFT. This will reset everything back to the default, and may resolve the issue.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0