ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How easy do you find Adrift V5?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby punkasaurus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Could you add back in the button to create an alternate description rather than making it a right-click option? It's not a big deal to me anymore, now that I found out how, but it took me like a week to figure out how to do it in V5.

Overall, though, I love it, and the option to change the size of rooms is wonderful.
punkasaurus

Postby Samkid882 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I would enjoy it if there was an actual battle system in v5, like there was in v1-4. Instead of getting rid of it, it could have been drastically improved instead. Since I'm basing my game Grug 2 off of the Silent Hill franchise, having monsters and creatures in the game such as Lying Figures and Screamers to the game would be amazing. Boss fights like Split Worm and Pyramid Head would be accepted. Of course, I wouldn't plagiaries these names, I'd make up my own but base the monsters and bosses off of them. I would also like more object and room options, such as "Is the room dark?" and "Description upon eating/drinking object" as well as "Terminate object upon eating/drinking" or "Does object harm you or cause death upon eating/drinking?" and maybe even "Are stats increased or decreased upon eating/drinking" and if that, then "Is it temporary or permanent?". Stats for weapons, armor, clothes, and characters should be added, as well, like "Damage Influence, Damage Resistance, Poison Resistance, Venom Resistance, Resistance to Bladed Weapons, Resistance to Blunt Weapons, and Resistance to Firearms" Then you can add certain parts of the body being triggered, like getting hit in the head hurts more than getting hit in the arm, and getting shot in the head kills you instantly (unless armored). These additions would be much appreciated.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby saabie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 am

punkasaurus wrote:Could you add back in the button to create an alternate description rather than making it a right-click option?
You can vote for this suggestion here: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bug&bugid=8338.
Just click the green thumbs-up icon .

Samkid882 wrote:I would also like more object and room options, such as "Is the room dark?" and "Description upon eating/drinking object" as well as "Terminate object upon eating/drinking" or "Does object harm you or cause death upon eating/drinking?" and maybe even "Are stats increased or decreased upon eating/drinking" and if that, then "Is it temporary or permanent?". Stats for weapons, armor, clothes, and characters should be added, as well, like "Damage Influence, Damage Resistance, Poison Resistance, Venom Resistance, Resistance to Bladed Weapons, Resistance to Blunt Weapons, and Resistance to Firearms"
You can create all of these yourself. Just open the properties folder and create a new property, type the description you want to appear on the property tab, then select whether you want it added to the property page of objects, characters or locations.
A simple yes/no property like "Is the room dark?" is a selection only type.
"Description upon eating/drinking object" would be a "text" type property.
Stats would be integer properties.
see http://wiki.adrift.co/Properties for more info.

Samkid882 wrote:I would enjoy it if there was an actual battle system in v5, like there was in v1-4. Instead of getting rid of it, it could have been drastically improved instead.

As soon as modules are properly implimented in Adrift, someone is sure to make a new battle system and post it to this site.
saabie

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am

Am I the only one hoping we don't get a combat system in ADRIFT 5? I mean, I'm sure we all remember those great ADRIFT games in the past which featured a combat system like... well... um...

Yeah. Exactly.

The worse thing about a combat system being built into the system is that it would encourage people to use it, and I've yet to see an ADRIFT game yet that has benefited from it.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am

No, David... You are not the only one. :wink:
Not that especially hope that there won't be a battle system, I just don't care whether there'll be one or not. There are so many other things that needs to be taken care of in V.5, and quite frankly how many "Drifters" acutally use, or have asked about a battle system. When I look back it's usually first timers who wants to create games with battle systems.
I do remember the old battle system in V.4 and if a V.5 battle system had to be made it would have to be something completely different. That's for sure.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:49 pm

I can't say I've seen any good come out of v4's battle system. Always the weakest point of an adventure made using it. The worst thing about it was that it made games unplayable on Club Floyd.

Maybe we could just let people develop combat modules and libraries on their own?
Duncan_B

Postby Samkid882 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Duncan_B wrote:I can't say I've seen any good come out of v4's battle system. Always the weakest point of an adventure made using it. The worst thing about it was that it made games unplayable on Club Floyd.

Maybe we could just let people develop combat modules and libraries on their own?

HEY! That's not a bad idea... and it may even be possible to do now :|
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Lhetre » Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm new to ADRIFT and never used V4 or any other IF for that matter. Also English is not my mother language. I've just started using ADRIFT 5 there are many things I haven't tested yet. For the moment the main issue is the lack of documentation. I don't care about going on the internet and reading a wiki, as long as the wiki is complete.

"Options" is confusing to me, generally this is the menu of the options of the software, it should not contain the informations of the adventure. I would put these informations together with the Intro & Ending and name it differently.

The runner lacks the possibility to increase font dimension, albeit you can change them in the "Options" screen, being able to change it during the adventure would be more logical. Even more so if you create an executable.

At the beginning I thought that the folders had a specific and unique purpose (locations could be created only in Locations etc.). They are quite useful.

I never use the ribbon, instead I right-click on a folder. I would have expected a drop-down menu with all the items.

I was unable to find the StandardLibrary.amf because "common files" is called differently in my language. I thought the installer was corrupted.

All in all I've yet to get stuck because of a GUI issue, which I find it quite user friendly but for the items that have not been implemented yet. So I try everything before resorting to google the forum.

This is a little of a mix-up, sorry.
Lhetre

Postby sirbacon » Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 am

The only thing that really bugs me is the map controls; I think It'd be much improved if there was a way to actually move the map around and/or center on the currently selected room.
sirbacon

Postby Po. Prune » Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Welcome Sirbacon, to our little corner of the IF universe. I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
As for your comment regarding the map in V.5, I'm not sure what version you're using, in V.5.22 you have the option to center the player location, and you can also turn and twist the map.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Inigma » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:18 am

These are my initial impressions, after having used it for about four hours. Adrift 5 is fairly intuitive and easy to use. There are some minor exceptions, some things are done backwards than you might predict ... EXAMPLE:

To get if a character has a property, character -> has -> property
To get if a character has a property and it is type, property -> of character -> is

And properties are ... well, thank you for including a lot of preset ones. They are powerful, work great but I only half understand them. That's a learning curve and not the fault of the program though.

For the most part, its surprisingly easy to get something done and make it work the way you want (as opposed to Adrift 3 and 4!). I've worked a little with Inform and I prefer the visual nature of Adrift 5 much better. Though Inform has a bit more control, I'll trade ease for working with it. It's also nice that Adrift has a huge library to start from that can easily be added to or modified. Instead of starting out building a bunch of basics, I can jump right in and refine them as I'd like.

The interface is probably the weakest part though. I've had a few issues, primarily with your folder windows. I opened a folder and somehow got it stuck under the top of the screen, and was unable to close it, except by reloading my project. I'd suggest allowing windows to 'snap' to the frame, or each other, or allow them to be free floating like the map. Perhaps being able to 'pin' them as well. The organization is easy, useful and visually appealing but when my screen starts to get cluttered with twelve or thirteen windows, I really wish for the above solution (running at 1600x900 btw). Also, the folder list on the left was a bit confusing at first. I did not realize they were all just folders (thanks naming!), so seeing a variable or property pop up in another window seemed seemed like a bug at first. "I have a folder called variables, why did it get put in with my character?!" One other recommendation would be to allow windows that have folders to transition to those folders if you double click them. Ie: if I open a window for my 'items' folder, and it has a 'bottle' folder, the option should exist to open it in a new window or the same window. Basically, similar windows 7-style functionality.

But for the most part I must say it has been immediately accessible to me. I checked out a few of the intermediate examples, and then pretty much felt confident that most things I'd want to do, I could. I realize I may hit quite a few more snags between now and then, but its a very impressive, powerful and stress free tool (for the user anyways, maybe not for Campbell).
"There is nothing man knows that he hasn't himself made up. In such a world of fantasy, who can decide what is real? Surely not man, he is his own creation."
Inigma

Postby saabie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 am

Inigma wrote:I've had a few issues, primarily with your folder windows. I opened a folder and somehow got it stuck under the top of the screen, and was unable to close it, except by reloading my project. I'd suggest allowing windows to 'snap' to the frame, or each other, or allow them to be free floating like the map. Perhaps being able to 'pin' them as well.
The "View" tab of the main toolbar ribbon has several options to neatly rearrange all your open windows.
To give yourself more space you can also close your map and folder list with the red buttons in their top-right corners, then re-open them from this menu when needed. (or 'unpin' them by clicking the pin icon so they slide in and out of view).

Inigma wrote:One other recommendation would be to allow windows that have folders to transition to those folders if you double click them. Ie: if I open a window for my 'items' folder, and it has a 'bottle' folder, the option should exist to open it in a new window or the same window. Basically, similar windows 7-style functionality.
If you right-click a folder you can choose to either expand its sub-folders in the folder list or open it in a window.
saabie

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am

NickyDude wrote:There have been a number of posts about the easy of use for V5 of Adrift. V5 can do a lot more than V4 but does this sacrifice ease of use? Are you finding it difficult to know where to start? What exactly do you find difficult about it? what do you need to make it easier? I thought I'd start a thread for those struggling and to get their views across.

I find it extremely easy to use, but my opinion isn't representative of the majority. I regularly complain about things being too simplified that other people complain about being too complicated. Not trying to brag. Just giving some context.
Technomancer

Postby Inigma » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 am

Someone must have slipped those features in there in my sleep. Although I don't get any options for opening folders when I right click.
"There is nothing man knows that he hasn't himself made up. In such a world of fantasy, who can decide what is real? Surely not man, he is his own creation."
Inigma

Postby Campbell » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am

I think it depends if you're clicking on a folder in the tree or in a folder window.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0