ADRIFT Forum


The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How easy do you find Adrift V5?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby BBBen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am

razor77 wrote:I find adrift 5 to be quite simply to be the best IF creater out there. It allows you to focus soley on the logic of the game design, rather than the two headed, momentum killing monster of logic and code syntax. I am disabled so that is a huge plus in the typing department.

With the others you'd spend days typing just commands, not counting actual story text. There are still features I'd love to see implemented such as

1.Events/system task called when a variable is a certain value, or other condition exist.
2.Actions within a task change based upon description.
3.Copyable restrictons and actions from one task to another.
4.Better use of if statements in task actions.

razor77


I agree with the appraisal of Adrift 5, although I've not really bothered to try other IF systems as I could see from the start this was the kind of thing I wanted. Furthermore, I'd strongly agree with those suggested features - particularly 1, 2 and 3. #3, while seemingly minor, would speed up a lot of the time-consuming stuff a great deal. At the moment you need to just copy the whole task and then change a few things, and if you've done that a bunch of times before realising you need to add another restriction to all of them you've got to go through all those copied tasks and add the restrictions one by one. #2 and #4 would streamline complex stuff, and #1, sort of an "automatic" task (probably a type of system task) would be logical, even if events can currently be used to replicate the feature.
BBBen
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 am

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Jin Sane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm finding V5 much easier than previous versions. I've not "drifted" in a few years so it was intially quite a task to relearn the more advanced stuff. But now my memory's refreshed I'm loving the ease of V5. Things that would take forever to design in older versions now take five minutes. Love it.
Jin Sane
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby rotter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Now to start, I love ADRIFT4, it is so easy to use, I can make it do what I want and I like it. So I have always looked at 5 as something new and different and hard. Preparing my Intro comp entry is the first time I've really tried to build something from scratch in 5, rather than import an old V4 game. I have to admit, it isn't as difficult as I thought. Finding things is the first battle, but eventually I worked it out. Being able to group related things together in folder is a neat idea. Properties and how they relate to task gave me a problem. Context help would be great as particularly with Properties and new tasks I got myself stuck a little. Certainly interesting though.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
User avatar
rotter
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 am
Location: UK

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Driftwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Tasks are the biggest task for me at the moment. Still trying to get my head round them. Never actually used tasks in V4 so using them at all is a bit of a headache. I can see how powerful they are, but with so many options I find it a little confusing. Not a problem with V5, just my grey cells.
While writing my Intro Comp I lost count of how many times I had to re-do the tasks before they would do exactly what I wanted them to do.
Adventure writing has become so much more advanced since the days of The Graphic Adventure Creator and The Quill back in the era of The Commodore 64 and the Sinclair Spectrum in the 80s. All that was required then was a direction map, an inventory system and actions based on what items the player had picked up and what they could be used for.
But we must forge ahead, and all these extra features make a game so much more interesting. V5 has pretty much got it wrapped up and when it's finally out of Beta it will probably be the most powerful IF creation system available. I'll have to crack on with trying to learn all the fine things it's got under its bonnet and then I might be able to write a real hum-dinger of an adventure.
A big thankyou to Campbell for putting so much time and hard work into this already superb IF creator and listening to our comments for future improvements.
:bravo: :Thanks:
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
User avatar
Driftwood
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Gravesend, Kent, UK

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 pm

It's good to see another Drifter from the old Spectrum days :yeah:
I started with the 48K Spectrum and the Quill and G.A.C.
Those were the days.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
User avatar
Po. Prune
Moderator
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Driftwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Hello Po.Prune. G.A.C was my big favourite back in them days. Used to subscribe to Commodore Disk User magazine which usually had a G.A.C game on the 5 1/4 floppy. I bet not many people can remember the floppy's.
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
User avatar
Driftwood
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Gravesend, Kent, UK

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Driftwood wrote:Adventure writing has become so much more advanced since the days of The Graphic Adventure Creator and The Quill back in the era of The Commodore 64 and the Sinclair Spectrum in the 80s. All that was required then was a direction map, an inventory system and actions based on what items the player had picked up and what they could be used for.


That's not strictly speaking true. Games like The Hobbit and Sherlock had very advanced parsers that are on par with what we have these days. Indeed, a lot of The Hobbit could be played via the conversation system by ordering NPCs around and performing tasks for you. Granted, a lot of the adventures back then were basic, but the same could be said for the majority of what's written these days; I certainly haven't seen anything half as complex written in ADRIFT yet this year.
David Whyld
 
Posts: 6509
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Jin Sane » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Driftwood wrote:V5 has pretty much got it wrapped up and when it's finally out of Beta it will probably be the most powerful IF creation system available.

Amen.
Jin Sane
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby Driftwood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm

David, you could have knocked me back with a feather!! Yes you're quite right, there were some quite complex games around then, and I never did finish the Hobbit. I was merely generalising on what software was available in those days for creating home-made adventures. We'll all be knocking out stunning adventures when we get to grips with the power of V5. Hobbit, no problem!
:D
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
User avatar
Driftwood
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm
Location: Gravesend, Kent, UK

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby ASchultz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 am

I really like the gui--for as far as it goes. But I'm a more typing-oriented person, so it is tough for me to judge that. As someone who mostly writes in Inform, I like the ability to just write up a bunch of text and decide what to do with it later in a text editor.

I would think that for just plain textual changes, I'd love to be able to open an Adrift source file in a text editor to tweak things. It seems Adrift is easier to set up but Inform is easier to fine tune. I really do love the stuff like the map, etc., and predefined action GUIs. It's just, in my programming environment, I use text editors so often that can be a distraction.

But I think the GUI will help people new to writing text adventures, and I think it's a good selling point.
ASchultz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 am

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby UltraSSGod » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 pm

On a scale of 1-10 when 10=easiest and 1=hardest? 5. Because I just started. However, in time, I will find it a level 10 (easiest).
UltraSSGod
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby vladmirangel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 pm

How easy is v5 for me...Very easy, but let me tell my story first. I downloaded adrift 4 weeks ago. Somewhere around early June of 2013

How i came to play Adrift games:
i was bored with my current video games. No extra pocket money to buy new ones at the time being. i went to google and typed "dating sim games for boys" wanting to download some game i could play at my computer. I eventually found "the pk girl" which i found in the official Adrift website. I downloaded adrift 5 and started playing. (note: until now, i realized i could not play the PK girl properly because i was using Adrift 5, not Adrift 4) when i started playing the pk girl, it actually had a good start which made me want to play it. But of course bugs suddenly showed up which i could not understand at that time so i did not continue playing it. At that time i was not aware of the forums and the manual and the wiki and the different versions of adrift. So instead of looking for games, i tinkered around the "Adrift" folder i downloaded and saw the "dev500.exe" which was together with "run500.exe"i wanted to know the difference, so i opened the developer.

How i came to develop adrift games
First look at adrift developer when i downloaded it, I said "what do all these buttons do." and for 3 hours i started clicking stuff and trying to know what their purpose is. for those 3 hours, i learned how to place objects, characters, locations, describing them, and running around my test world trying to know why i am not satisfied. I started asking questions like, "how does the game give commands for actions i do in the game" and then i saw the tasks button. i looked at general tasks and said "errr what am i suppose to fill in these blanks." i moved on to specific tasks and peeped at the drop box and looked at what i could choose from. "seems simple enough" I said to myself. Then and there after tinkering for 2 hours or less, I learned what actions tab does and the difference between "run after" and "override". I never got to know what "run before" meant, because it was practically the same as override. And then came the need "How do i control these task wherein i don't want them to show up all the time." I did not try to understand restrictions first until this came in my mind. However i felt like i was still missing something, that making a game is not all this. I soon noticed the "?" button at the upper right corner of the developer.exe. This is where i learned how to deactivate "simple mode". I said to myself after looking at the variables, groups, properties, etc, I learned i need some real help because the manual did not say much. So i searched the internet, and found this forum, and met you guys. Mostly saabie, lazzah and po.prune because they are the most talkative of the bunch that also greets new players. and thats when i learned a great deal about adrift very slowly. right now i'm still learning how to use the more advance usage of variables. Adrift wiki also helped me in making strings of codes in the general tasks which i soon tried using. those %object1% %character% etc etc. So after learning adrift for 14 days, 4 hours a day, i am now "currently" satisfied and am making a game. if i do learn something new, i'd just edit my game.

Adrift for me took 1 week to learn fundamentals and 2nd week for the coding of descriptions, usage of properties, etc. all the medium level stuff. I really hope that bugs in the version 5 would be fixed soon, because i too have my own issues with using adrift 5 and have experienced a bug already and am working on a work around for it.
Art Gallery of Time: 42kb
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
User avatar
vladmirangel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

vladmirangel wrote:How i came to play Adrift games:
i was bored with my current video games. No extra pocket money to buy new ones at the time being. i went to google and typed "dating sim games for boys" wanting to download some game i could play at my computer. I eventually found "the pk girl" which i found in the official Adrift website. I downloaded adrift 5 and started playing. (note: until now, i realized i could not play the PK girl properly because i was using Adrift 5, not Adrift 4) when i started playing the pk girl, it actually had a good start which made me want to play it. But of course bugs suddenly showed up which i could not understand at that time so i did not continue playing it. At that time i was not aware of the forums and the manual and the wiki and the different versions of adrift. So instead of looking for games, i tinkered around the "Adrift" folder i downloaded and saw the "dev500.exe" which was together with "run500.exe"i wanted to know the difference, so i opened the developer.


And this, Campbell, is why V5 needs to warn people they're playing a game written in V4. It's to no one's benefit, least of all yours, if bugs show up that are out of the author's hands.
David Whyld
 
Posts: 6509
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby rotter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:14 pm

David Whyld wrote:
vladmirangel wrote:How i came to play Adrift games:
i was bored with my current video games. No extra pocket money to buy new ones at the time being. i went to google and typed "dating sim games for boys" wanting to download some game i could play at my computer. I eventually found "the pk girl" which i found in the official Adrift website. I downloaded adrift 5 and started playing. (note: until now, i realized i could not play the PK girl properly because i was using Adrift 5, not Adrift 4) when i started playing the pk girl, it actually had a good start which made me want to play it. But of course bugs suddenly showed up which i could not understand at that time so i did not continue playing it. At that time i was not aware of the forums and the manual and the wiki and the different versions of adrift. So instead of looking for games, i tinkered around the "Adrift" folder i downloaded and saw the "dev500.exe" which was together with "run500.exe"i wanted to know the difference, so i opened the developer.


And this, Campbell, is why V5 needs to warn people they're playing a game written in V4. It's to no one's benefit, least of all yours, if bugs show up that are out of the author's hands.


I'll second David on this. I've had complaints and a bad review due to V5 strangeness with one of my V4 games.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
User avatar
rotter
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 am
Location: UK

Re: How easy do you find Adrift V5?

Postby vladmirangel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 am

I actually like adrift 5 because it is more motivating to use. You know kids will be kids and hardcore programmers will be hardcore programmers. Adrift 5 provides the means for both parties to benefit. Adrift 5 is both made to be simple to use and also complex if you devote yourself to learning the hard parts of using Adrift 5. Although i do request that there be an added restriction option on the tasks, I'd describe it as "[Event1] [Must be] [Active]" kind of restriction so that you'd only have that task work when the event is rolling.
Art Gallery of Time: 42kb
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
User avatar
vladmirangel
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 am
Location: Philippines

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron