ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Brainstorming suggestions on making Reactive NPCs

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Brainstorming suggestions on making Reactive NPCs

Postby ElliotM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:10 pm

I thought it might be fun to brainstorm ways of making characters that will react to things that the player is doing in Adrift 5.

One method I thought of would be to add specific tasks that run after their target general tasks that generate a character reaction if a character was present, perhaps based on other variables or properties, too. There is also an option for having a character do something if they come across a certain object in character walks, so a more hackish method I thought of would be implementing unlisted 'plot' objects that a character could encounter and react to.

While reading up on conversation systems, I came across the idea that there would be times a player might try to show an object to a character in the context of the current conversation. The idea I read suggested that you could turn show x to character into a special conversation topic instead. Using Adrift 5's specific tasks, I think this would be fairly easy to do as long as you can generate the right keywords through the parameters option, as you would be catching show x to character and turning it into tell character about x, with perhaps with an extra keyword like show to differentiate it from the regular tell character about x conversation topic.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0