ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Trying out methods for making vehicles

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Trying out methods for making vehicles

Postby ElliotM » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 am

Having no internet for a week does wonders for one's productivity. Attached is a demo of some of my ideas on vehicles. So far, making open air vehicles like motorbikes seems the easiest. It would be handy if there was a "move parent of player in referenced direction" option, but I made do without it by using a specific task to move the vehicle to the new location of the player and re-seating the player on the bike before executing the look task.

As a bonus, I included one way of implementing momentum for vehicles, though what I actually made is more likely just a turn radius or not being able to do a 180 degree turn to go back the way you came without "stopping" first. Wasn't very practical to implement (using room groups was easy, but the setup required restrictions on every valid direction went to a location the author had included in the room group "driveable surfaces".

However, true momentum would require a move object in direction task: ie, Adrift would store the current direction in a variable used in a recurring system task that would keep moving the object in that direction until it "crashed into an invalid direction" or player entered input such as turn left, right, or stop. Useful only if you want to simulate speed in text by forcing the vehicle to move forward until player input said otherwise. This would stop mimesis breaking situations where the player "stops", by not inputting movement, so they can examine things they see along the way despite being in what should be a moving vehicle. Perhaps over-thought, but I was bored. :whistle:
Attachments
Momentum Demo 2.taf
Basic Vehicle plus an idea on implementing momentum for vehicles as represented by a turn radius.
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0