ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Hiding Specific & System Tasks

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Hiding Specific & System Tasks

Postby Lazzah » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 am

Hi Campbell,

When we are creating a new General Task, under the Advance tab there is a checkbox option to "Prevent this task from being inherited" which, when ticked, hides the task on the dropdown lists. This option is not available for Specific or System Tasks.

If you are creating a new Specific Task, when you select the task that it will override (or Run Before/After), that task will be a General one. However, to find the one particular General Task you want to override, you have to trawl through all the Specific and System tasks you have created, and in a large adventure such as "The Fortress of Fear", which has over 3,000 tasks, this can take some time even though you can jump to the particular letter of the alphabet that the task starts with.

Is it possible for you to fix it so that only General Tasks appear in this dropdown list, or could we can have an option similar to "Prevent this task from being inherited" which can be applied to Specific and System Tasks so that they can be hidden on the list?

If either of these is possible I will bung up a request.

:Thanks:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Hiding Specific & System Tasks

Postby saabie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am

Lazzah wrote:Is it possible for you to fix it so that only General Tasks appear in this dropdown list
It is quite common to create a specific task for a particular object, then inherit from that when creating another specific task with added restrictions to make something different happen in certain circumstances.
For example, you might override the "drop %object%" general task with a specific task for a delicate vase which breaks if you try to put it down.
But then in a certain room with soft carpet you might want to override that specific task with one that says "You gently place the delicate vase on the soft carpet".
saabie

Postby Campbell » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 am

System tasks shouldn't appear in the list. Specific tasks should, for the reason that saabie gives above. I do appreciate that it becomes a problem when the list gets too long tho, so I will try and come up with a solution. Happy for you to put up an item to remind me.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Campbell wrote:System tasks shouldn't appear in the list.

Yes, you are quite right, I must've been thinking of another dropdown list of tasks where they do appear.
Campbell wrote:Specific tasks should, for the reason that saabie gives above. I do appreciate that it becomes a problem when the list gets too long tho, so I will try and come up with a solution. Happy for you to put up an item to remind me.

I do think we need a checkbox option for this if the user wants to permanently hide a Specific Task which will not be inherited again. If the need arises to use it all the user has to do is uncheck the box and the task will reappear on the list.

Item added at: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?pag ... ugid=18724
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I've also added the following comment/question:

Could this also be applied to properties? Having the option to hide property items or designate them as menu items would be great because some properties are created solely for the purpose of enabling additional options and serve no interactive purpose.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Campbell » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Good idea.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0