ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

"stay in this node" doesn't stay...

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

"stay in this node" doesn't stay...

Postby MrWhy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:36 pm

To climb up a conversation tree, player must match a conv topic at every nod if he doesn't want to fall down at the beginning. So "stay in this node" is here to make NPCs a little more patient while you try to find the correct topic. Am I right ?
But here's what happened in my tests :

> ask NPC about subject 1
He tells you answer 1

>ask NPC about subject 1.1
He tells you answer 1.1

>ask NPC about subject 1.*ù&
He doesn't appear to understand you.

>ask NPC about subject 1.1.1
He doesn't appear to understand you." :|

But I'd like him to answer 1.1.1!

Any help?
MrWhy

Re: "stay in this node" doesn't stay...

Postby Campbell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:40 am

Hi MrWhy,

It doesn't quite work like that.

The Stay in this conversation node is designed to keep you in the parent of that node, to steer you onto the right topic. So for example, say you had the following tree:

adrift Code: Select all
Ask about treasure -> "Sure, which treasure did you have in mind?"
   Say Gold -> "Yes, I've heard there is gold around here.  Would you like me to tell you more?"
      Say Yes -> "blah blah..."
   Say Silver -> "No, I've not heard of anyone looking for silver." (stay in node)

So, if you user types:
> Ask about treasure
"Sure, which treasure did you have in mind?"

> Say Silver
"No, I've not heard of anyone looking for silver."

> Say Gold
"Yes, I've heard there is gold around here. Would you like me to tell you more?"

> Say Yes
"blah blah..."
Without the Stay in node checked, the conversation would be like so:
> Ask about treasure

> Say Silver

> Say Gold
Character doesn't appear to understand you.

> Say Yes
You be quite honest, I haven't looked at conversation trees for a while. If you think there's a better way of implementing them, please let me know.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:44 am

That said, you should be able to achieve the effect you want with a node matching keyword "*". E.g.

adrift Code: Select all
Ask about 1 -> He tells you answer 1
   Ask about * -> I'm sorry, what? (stay in node)
   Ask about 1.1 -> He tells you answer 1.1
      Ask about * -> I'm sorry, what? (stay in node)
      Ask about 1.1.1 -> He tells you answer 1.1.1
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby MrWhy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks again for your quick and friendly answers. I'll test the "*" keyword tip and I'm sure it'll do the trick.

But imagine this dialog in your 1st example :
> Ask about treasure

> Say Silver

> Say diamond

> Say Gold

Don't you think player should be able to stay in some nodes even if he doesn't find exact matching keywords at every tries?
MrWhy

Postby Campbell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Yes, I think that would make sense. I will come back to conversation trees soon to give them a bit of love. I have a few ideas for improvements.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 am

Instead of starting a new thread I thought to ask my questions here regarding Nodes. I haven't used them before and i do remember in the past seeing a tick box "stay in this node" but I cannot find it now. Where is it?

I am mucking around with nodes to see if I can use them for multi-choice for certain topics. I created some nodes with General Command and 1 being the input etc. But when this topic is brought up in the demo, entering 1 gives a- I do not understand "1" error. Why doesn't this work. Wouldn't nodes be useful for multichoice not just keeping track of creating them and seeing them in a tree list but also defining 1,2,3 to that specific topic. So any other nodes belonging to a different topic with the same 1,2,3 General Commands will not be selected/outputted instead? Perhaps this does work but only if I have the parent or child that needs a tick with "stay in this node'?
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm

No one has given a reply yet :anyone:

Unless I am doing something wrong child conversation nodes "General Command" doesn't seem to work, as said in previous post I was hoping to use child/nodes for multichoice choose a reply. I thought since the child nodes are related to the parent, it would be easier to link the same 1-3 choices to a specific choice list that is tied to the parent/topic activated (for the lack of a better word) as well as using other restrictions to have these triggered at the right time also.

My experiments so far has no matches made with the child nodes. I was hoping to combine asking a NPC about a topic and getting a reply then giving the player some choices for different pre-set responses. This would be useful for types of responses being passive or aggressive.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:37 pm

DazaKiwi wrote: i do remember in the past seeing a tick box "stay in this node" but I cannot find it now. Where is it?
Its down the bottom right of the "Actions" page of each conversation topic.
It can only be set for a child topic.

DazaKiwi wrote: I created some nodes with General Command and 1 being the input etc. But when this topic is brought up in the demo, entering 1 gives a- I do not understand "1" error.
Are you actually typing "say 1"? If you want the player to be able to just type "1" then you will need to create a general task for the command "1" which has the action [Execute task][Say something to character][1][%convcharacter%] to pass the command to the conversation system.
saabie

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:51 am

saabie wrote:
DazaKiwi wrote: i do remember in the past seeing a tick box "stay in this node" but I cannot find it now. Where is it?
Its down the bottom right of the "Actions" page of each conversation topic.
It can only be set for a child topic.

DazaKiwi wrote: I created some nodes with General Command and 1 being the input etc. But when this topic is brought up in the demo, entering 1 gives a- I do not understand "1" error.
Are you actually typing "say 1"? If you want the player to be able to just type "1" then you will need to create a general task for the command "1" which has the action [Execute task][Say something to character][1][%convcharacter%] to pass the command to the conversation system.

I am reviving this thread as i am returning to attempting to create a COYA style conversation system. I manage to do this with normal tasks, but i thought it might be easier to manage through the built in conversation system.

However, Saabie you said i need to general task command (i presume you meant outside of the conversation system) in order for the player to be able to enter a choice number or letter?

Why is this? why can't General Command inside the Conversation do the job? general command is players input without having to type ask/say/tell character right?

Answering my own question...The General Command in conversations needs the player to type 'say' before the general word is accepted. It would be nice if you could indeed just type 1 or A or whatever, when you are in conversation with character and the node system in play. I might write up a suggestion for this so adding COYA type conversations would be easier to implement.

*update* I have found a work around to do this. Working on a demo to put up later..http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11577
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0