ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How do you make an inventory?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

How do you make an inventory?

Postby UltraSSGod » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm

For a certain character, the player, an inventory is needed in my game.

Also, if possible, can you add a number to the score once the player gets an object and puts it in his or her inventory?

Answer them in that order, please. It would help if you put them in different paragraphs.
UltraSSGod

Re: How do you make an inventory?

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 pm

You don't need to make an inventory. The program handles it for you.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm

This forum is for discussions about playing games. If you have questions such as yours about ADRIFT 5 programming, please post them in the ADRIFT 5 forum.

However, if you want to give the player points when they get an object you would need to create a specific task for each object that the player can pick up and include in the actions "Set variable Score to %Score% + 2" (or whatever score you are going to award the player).

HTH
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby vladmirangel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm

I know i'm off topic but, has anybody ever done before the ability to switch between 3 different game characters with each one in their respective locations holding their respective items? if not, i'll put some time into it and develop a working one which would mean that all those 3 characters have separate inventories for the player character to use.
Art Gallery of Time: 42kb
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
vladmirangel

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:40 am

vladimirangel: I think that's built into ADRIFT 5. (It's certainly long been standard fare with Inform7 and TADS.)

(edit: clarify that I was responding to vladimirangel)
Last edited by ralphmerridew on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 am

ralphmerridew wrote:I think that's built into ADRIFT 5. (It's certainly long been standard fare with Inform7 and TADS.)

That's what David said! :)
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby vladmirangel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 am

ralphmerridew wrote:vladimirangel: I think that's built into ADRIFT 5. (It's certainly long been standard fare with Inform7 and TADS.)

(edit: clarify that I was responding to vladimirangel)

shocking :shock:
so how could i control other characters?
For all i know, the only character we should be able to control is [The player character] found at the start of the game with the blue icon

Edit: ok so i removed the text here, i'll keep my mouth shut until i read some tutorials.
Edit 2: holy ****, it seems ralph is right. http://wiki.adrift.co/The_Player_Character . I should have looked at the tutorials first before posting. :x
Psychologically over thinking stuff is entertaining in its own right. -the way of the troll-
vladmirangel

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm

vladmirangel wrote:Edit: ok so i removed the text here, i'll keep my mouth shut until i read some tutorials.
Edit 2: holy ****, it seems ralph is right. http://wiki.adrift.co/The_Player_Character . I should have looked at the tutorials first before posting. :x

Yes, Precisely. You should spend the next couple of years learning how to use ADRIFT before posting any more replies to messages asking for help. I know you are trying to be helpful, but you are only a beginner at using ADRIFT and your "answers" are just confusing people.
Lazzah

Postby vladmirangel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Lazzah wrote:Yes, Precisely. You should spend the next couple of years learning how to use ADRIFT before posting any more replies to messages asking for help.

:( yeah sorry bout that.
BTW, the way you said that, what struck me the most was "spend the next COUPLE of years learning how to use Adrift" that line if i were to literally take it's meaning, would mean that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
new guys won't be motivated to complete their games until they learn using adrift after 1 year.

If i were to say it bluntly
vladmirangel

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm

A couple of years is probably a little much, but a good few months at the minimum.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:10 pm

And Vladimirangel, be careful not to make the same mistake 99% of newcomers do;
Trying to make a humongous game as their first adventure. I don't know of anyone who has pulled it off. It usually ends in a disaster.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 pm

I can think of The PK Girl, but that's the only one. Most first games are either bad (guilty as charged) or smallish in size.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm

vladmirangel wrote:
Lazzah wrote:Yes, Precisely. You should spend the next couple of years learning how to use ADRIFT before posting any more replies to messages asking for help.

:( yeah sorry bout that.
BTW, the way you said that, what struck me the most was "spend the next COUPLE of years learning how to use Adrift" that line if i were to literally take it's meaning, would mean that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
new guys won't be motivated to complete their games until they learn using adrift after 1 year.

If i were to say it bluntly

I was being sarcastic, it's the hot weather, makes me VERY irritable! ]:)
Lazzah

Postby rotter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Lazzah wrote:I was being sarcastic, it's the hot weather, makes me VERY irritable! ]:)

Actually it makes me very happy! Ahh, no that is the two bottles of white, take-away and all this vodka. :?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to ADRIFT 5.0