ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Problems with Multiple Windows.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Problems with Multiple Windows.

Postby Lazzah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Campbell,

OK, I have attempted to use the multiple windows function on a new game. I want the location description in one window, with the rest of the text underneath. I altered the LOOK general task to the following:

<window Location><cls>%Player%.Location.Description</window>%Player%.Location.Description

This is what you said I should put instead of the default. When I ran the game I got a tiny window in the top left corner which I can not resize or do anything with as per attached screenshot. The location description still appears in the main screen. If I type Look there is a flash of what looks like the edge of a window running up the middle of the main screen and the location text redescribes.

Obviously there may be something wrong with the rocket science I have put into the Look task. As I haven't a clue how to correct it could you please oblige me. Thanks.

EDIT: I have been messing about with this and have changed the above to <window Location>%Player%.Location which seems to have removed the location text from the main window. As there is now nothing in the main window when the game starts I created a system task with the intention of displaying the message "Type your commands in the box at the bottom....." which should appear when you enter the first proper location. Unfortunately this has appeared in the location text window. Is there a way I can direct it to the main window?

Another thing: When I test the adventure and open Runner, I get the message "This file is a later version than the software. It is advisable that you upgrade to ensure it runs properly." I assume this is known about???
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (265.01 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Problems with Multiple Windows.

Postby Campbell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 pm

In Runner > Help > About ADRIFT, what version are you running?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Campbell wrote:In Runner > Help > About ADRIFT, what version are you running?

The Runner says 5.0.31.3 which is wierd as I installed it at the same time as I installed the Developer which is of course 5.0.31.4.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm

I didn't update Runner, so that is still on 5.0.31.3, but it hadn't occurred to me about the error message. I'll put up a patch soon to fix that. Just ignore for now.

I'm puzzled by your window problem though. I get a titlebar on each window, so can resize them. Is anyone else unable to resize them?

Regarding controlling which window the text goes into, it's works the same way as <b> and </b> does for bold. I.e. every time you write <window Location> this tells Runner to output everything that follows to the window called "Location". If you want to stop outputting to this window, you write </window> (in the same way that </b> means stop outputting bold). Then everything that follows will output in the default window again.

So "one<window Location>two</window>three" will output "onethree" to the default window, and "two" to the Location window.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby arelim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:02 am

I tested this and got the same result as Lazzah...

What I did specifically is first I always used this code exactly : <window Location>two</window>

I started by putting it in my introduction. I got a result almost identical to Lazzah (only difference was the words in the location window)

Just to see if I got different behavior if I put it other places ... I removed the code from the introduction and put it into the description of the room ... and same result.

I then removed it from the room and put it into the description of an object ... the window did not exist until I looked at the object ... then it appeared at which point it looked identical to previous results.

then I created a task that activated the code ... same result as the last.

All of this seems kind of awkward ... I feel like I'm missing a step? like their is someplace I'm supposed to be defining the windows so they are loaded into the game before it starts rather than waiting until a runtime command creates them ... ? From saying "Regarding controlling which window the text goes into" ... it sounds like these windows are supposed to exist at the start of the game and the <window Location>two</window> command it just supposed to post new text to the location window ... not create it.... ?
arelim

Postby Lazzah » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 am

I have been doing more experimentation, as I don't want the multiple windows to start until the player is actually playing the game after reading the prologue and playing instructions, both of which are optional. I therefore defined a variable "GameOn" which is set as the player is moved into the first location. I have defined three game locations Beach, Beach W and Beach E, the text is short so that I can see everything in the tiny window that is created by ADRIFT.

I am not sure what I have done wrong but the location text window (small as it is) doesn't seen to be refreshing to show the new location when you move East or West. I attach the game file. It is very rudimentary I have only put a brief bit of text in each location apart from the Start Options page.

As you move East or West you should see the bar appear briefly in the centre of the main screen.
Attachments
DFF.taf
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 am

Campbell, is there any progress on finding out what is going on with the problem with the multiple windows?

:Thanks:
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Yep, figured out the problem. I've uploaded a patch which should fix this, along with the annoying message about versions.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 am

Campbell wrote:Yep, figured out the problem. I've uploaded a patch which should fix this, along with the annoying message about versions.

Campbell,

This is still not working properly. I d/l the latest patch, installed it on my laptop at home and ran my test game (DFF). The location window appears as half of the screen split down the middle. I then detached the locations window to move it into the desired position and resize it. However, as happened before, as soon as I released the window it froze where I released it and I cannot do anything with it, not even close it.

EDIT: I just upgraded my PC at work with the latest patch and the result is exactly the same.

Suggestion: As I think most people would want the screen so that the TOP window contains the location text and the rest of the text appears below, could you not fix it so that when the <window location> is activated the screen splits horizontally? Or give us the ability to chose whether the screen splits vertically or horizontally?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 am

Well that's odd. It only seems to freeze if you tear the window off completely though. If you just move it around within the main window, it is fine. If you have a frozen window, just restart Runner and the floating window looks to be moveable again.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 am

Campbell,

I deleted the locations window while I was messing about with the Runner and now I cannot get it to appear again! I have shut down the developer and reopened it but the result is still the same. Any ideas?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 am

Ok, that's interesting. I'll need to think of a way around that. Perhaps by adding an extra entry in the main Window menu to bring back closed windows.

I think the only way you'll be able to get it back is to delete the layout file. In Developer, go to Options > Bibliography, and take a note of the IFID for your game. Then go to C:\Users\Lazzah\AppData\Local\CampbellWild\ADRIFT (or equivalent for your O/S) and delete the RunnerLayout-<IFID>.xml file.

When you next start up Runner, the layout should be back to the default.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 am

Campbell wrote:Ok, that's interesting. I'll need to think of a way around that. Perhaps by adding an extra entry in the main Window menu to bring back closed windows.

I think the only way you'll be able to get it back is to delete the layout file. In Developer, go to Options > Bibliography, and take a note of the IFID for your game. Then go to C:\Users\Lazzah\AppData\Local\CampbellWild\ADRIFT (or equivalent for your O/S) and delete the RunnerLayout-<IFID>.xml file.

When you next start up Runner, the layout should be back to the default.

Luckily I have a shortcut to the "Campbell Wild" folder on my desktop. I just deleted all the RunnerLayout-<IFID>.xml files there were!

Next problem: I can do nothing with the locations window at all, apart from moving the middle bar from side-to-side. I want the locations window to be on top. As I said in my last post, can you not set it so that the screen is split horizontally instead of vertically?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 am

Yes, drag the Locations window, using it's titlebar. You should see small icons appear to show where you want it to appear. Hover the mouse over one of these icons, and it should highlight in blue where the window will appear. Release the mouse, and the window will move, e.g. to the top of the screen.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 am

is it possible to specify where the layout window should be when playing, in the editor? So when the game starts the layout of the runner is defined by the game?
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0