ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Picture recovering program

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Picture recovering program

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am

Hi.
Just had a computer meltdown and had to reinstall Windows 10. Unfortunately all the pictures on my desktop has gone (yes, I know: Men don't take backup. But they cry a lot! :cry: )
Does anyone know of a good recovering program I can use?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: Picture recovering program

Postby R2T1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 am

Depending on what happened when the "meltdown" occurred, you may have a C:\WINDOWS.OLD folder, similar to when there is a major upgrade. However, it may not have kept the \Pictures folder.

If you can remember any of the recent picture names, you could try searching for them to see if they turn up anywhere and then check out that location.

Beyond that, I don't think there will be much short of some forensic analysis tools. Unfortunately, you may find that the new install has overwritten or trashed them.

There used to be software that could identify blocks of disk space that was is use but had no pointers to it from elsewhere. I don't remember what it was called but it was an old DOS program. From memory, it was useful to find text files, but due to the way picture files are encoded, I doubt there would be any recognisable text.

Hope there weren't too many. :(
R2T1

Postby ElliotM » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:40 am

A repair would have left your files, but reinstalling likely meant you clean wiped the HD/partition and your files are gone.
ElliotM

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 am

I found a program "Recuva"
It restored quite a few of my lost pictures but some of them are gone forever, unfortunately.
I got most of them back, though.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby R2T1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 am

I trust you have already backed them up and will set up a scheme to do it often from now on. Which reminds me...
R2T1

Return to Drifting Off-Topic