ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Why is there no distinction between TA and CYOA games?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Why is there no distinction between TA and CYOA games?

Postby adamlevine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:14 am

After so long there is still not a way to separate Text Adventure games from Choose Your Own Adventure ones. Why is that? There was a discussion on it last time I was here and probably the time before that.

People go searching for a game, they do not want a grab bag and wonder what they will be getting. And if you are in the mood for a little T&A ( ^_^ ) you are sorely disappointed by the assorment of CYOAs that seem to out number them three or more to one it seems.

Surely there is a simple fix to this or was I just searching wrong? You click the tab and see the Top 20, Sci-Fi, Mystery, RPG, Fantasy etc. But nothing to telling you what type of game you were about to download and play until after you already begun it and get that disappointed feeling of "not another one of those type of games" and download the next to feel it again and again. There has to be an easier way.
adamlevine

Re: Why is there no distinction between TA and CYOA games?

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:34 am

If you refer to Adrift games, I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to make a check box so when writers upload a game they can state what type it is.
I'm not a huge player myself, but I don't remember too many Adrift games being CYOA (or am I wrong?)
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm

I've written a few CYOA games myself, but there aren't a whole lot of them on the main site so I'm sure there's really any need for a separate option for them.

Then again, the main site has needed a major overhaul for years now with nothing much changing, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of it happening.
David Whyld

Postby R2T1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 am

This is the same question as asked by Text_Questor over on the Quest forums a month ago. (see this article)
R2T1

Postby Lumin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:20 am

The site is pretty old and the uploader section isn't likely to be updated. But CYOAs are a rarity anyhow and it's basically up to the author to make the distinction in the description.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby boisterou » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:46 pm

R2T1 wrote:This is the same question as asked by Text_Questor over on the Quest forums a month ago. (see this article)

Thanks for the link.
boisterou

Return to Drifting Off-Topic