ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Favorite adventure games or point and click games?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Favorite adventure games or point and click games?

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:19 am

The adventure games that first sparked my interest in the genre were Myst and Riven by Cyan. I really liked the world building and these games really made me want to make my own. Some of my favorite flash-based adventure games have come from Pastel Games, particularly the Covert Front series.
ElliotM

Re: Favorite adventure games or point and click games?

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:24 am

The one that got me hooked was "The Hobbit" Way back in the early 80's I had a 48K Spectrum and a friend and I would spend hours trying to solve the puzzles.
Point and click? Well, the first place would have to be "SpaceQuest" without a doubt, Larry and "PoliceQuest" also was favourites while "Kings Quest" never really did it for me.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby rotter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Obviously "The Hobbit" would be on my top five fav list. But, my number one would be the Level 9 game "Lords of Time". One example of the writing is when opening a tin of cat food ‘The vile smell of whale meat assails your nostrils’. Brilliant.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 am

The one that got me hooked was "Sphinx Adventure", played on a 32k Acorn Electron. I spent months trying to solve this. My favourites must be the "Rick Hanson" series of games. Funnily enough, I never did play "The Hobbit", which is the game many people started with.

As for "point and click", I never really got into these, I suppose I blamed them for the demise of the home-grown text adventure scene back in the 1990's, but I did play "The Secret of Monkey Island" all the way through.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:41 am

I'll be predictable and go with "The Hobbit", a game I played and replayed and kept on playing even after I'd finished it half a dozen times. I was never sure if it was a bug or simply thinking way out of the box, but being able to carry around Elrond for endless food or Bard to shoot people for you was hilarious. Even when you thought you'd done everything in the game, you'd stumble across some other cool feature and amuse yourself with that for days.

Point & click I never really bothered with. I always preferred text adventures and point & click never held the same kind of appeal for me.
David Whyld

Postby ParadoxGames » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Funny; I just began playing The hobbit fo rth first time last week.

I really loved "Rama" (point-and-click adventure) based on Arthur Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama novel. More accurately, RAMA II, the sequel with Clarke and Gentry Lee. Sierra Online announced two sequels to complete the sequel trilogy, but they never surfaced. Suffice it to say, the puzzles in it were some of the hardest in a game of this type.
ParadoxGames

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:59 pm

ParadoxGames wrote:I really loved "Rama" (point-and-click adventure) based on Arthur Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama novel. More accurately, RAMA II, the sequel with Clarke and Gentry Lee. Sierra Online announced two sequels to complete the sequel trilogy, but they never surfaced. Suffice it to say, the puzzles in it were some of the hardest in a game of this type.

They were indeed, but the feeling of success when you finally cracked one of them was beyond belief. :D
Po. Prune

Postby ElliotM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I think one of my cd's had a demo for RAMA and I thought it looked neat. I remember liking the book but I never got to play the full game. After Myst and Riven I went looking for other games like it and was met with disappointment. I found a game called the Crystal Key in a store and bought it for $20 only to find out that it was poorly made. Ever after that I researched my games first before purchasing them. Pre-ordering is a bunch of nonsense imo. I found a cheap copy of Lighthouse on ebay and picked it up because I had started collecting what I thought were the good ones and I even figured out how to get it to run on modern hardware. I ended up watching a lets play instead of playing it through myself because I found some of the puzzles to be rather tedious.
ElliotM

Postby R2T1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:06 am

I think that the first one I played was Scott Adams' Adventureland. I had to wait until disk drives were invented in order to get CP/M and ZORK1,2,3.

Point & Click, well, I think it was either one of the Space Quest games or Leisure Suit Larry. Memory is a bit foggy when it comes to that far back. Not overly keen about them as some were too pedantic about where you had to click.

Surprisingly, I have never played the Hobbit as I never had a PC that could run it. Perhaps I should see if I can find a copy along with an emulator and give it a go.
R2T1

Postby ParadoxGames » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Eliot, If you want to find Rama, I think you can pick it up on eBay, and PC users can install DOSBox, the DOS emulator and play it on Windows 7/8/ etc. Recommended.

Also, after winning the game, I bought the strategy guide to find anything I missed. I was sad to learn I covered the entire game, Easter eggs and all.
ParadoxGames

Postby Infected Behaviour » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

Here's a small list of my favourite point and click games:

1. Leisure Suit Larry (1 to 7)
2. Monkey Island (1 to 4)
3. Quest For Glory (1 to 5)
3. Space Quest (1 to 6)
4. Police Quest (1 to 4)
5. King's Quest (Only really liked the first and fifth game)
6. Simon the sorcerer (1,2 and 4) Couldn't find the third game.
7. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
8. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
9. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
10. Day of The Tentacle
11. Sam and Max: Hit The Road
12. Full Throttle
13. The Dig
14. The Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate

I've got more but those are my most played point and click games.
Infected Behaviour

Postby David Whyld » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:21 am

A small list of 39 games?
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 am

The Dig, was totally amazing!
Po. Prune

Postby Infected Behaviour » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:27 am

I have almost 20,000 + games since I'm a game collector. 39 is nothing. :lol:
Infected Behaviour

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 am

Infected Behaviour wrote:I have almost 20,000 + games since I'm a game collector. 39 is nothing. :lol:

Thank God, they can't all be your favorites rofl
Po. Prune

Next

Return to Drifting Off-Topic