ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Free Windows 10 Upgrade?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Free Windows 10 Upgrade?

Postby ElliotM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:33 am

Hey all, have any of you been getting notifications for a free upgrade to Windows 10? I like Windows 7 just fine and Windows 8 doesn't seem that bad on my tablet, so I'm not inclined to do it. Any of you guys decide to take Microsoft's offer and take the plunge into Windows 10?
ElliotM

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade?

Postby R2T1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:43 am

Yep. I changed my laptop over from 8.1 at Christmas and the desktop from 7 in late January. Once you do it, you have a month to go back or else you're stuck in the future. I find it OK, but somethings just don't have enough settings or allowances to modify it how I would like. I don't like their browser EDGE, and use either Chrome or IE11. Haven't used their STORE as most of what I have seen is for kids and teens or is just ridiculously priced for what it is. At least all my IF software runs OK along with the few games I run. Only problem I had was getting the printer/scanner to work. Finally deleted the driver and re-installed it from the original CD and didn't try to update it to the new Win10-64 vervsion. All OK now.

At the end of the day (or July), it is your choice. If it aint broke why fix it as they say. But any future new devices will probably have Win10 preinstalled.

Your call.
R2T1

Postby rotter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:29 am

I decided to bite the bullet and accepted the upgraded notifications on several PC's and laptops November time last year. All in different states of stability and age. I had very few problems, the only one I remember was the sound card driver took awhile to sort out. A lot of things I use do not like Edge so using Chrome for most of my browsing. My main PC, about six years old, was start to hang and crash a lot, over the years It has been upgraded from XP to 7 and then 10. At the moment the upgrade seems to have made it stable. Haven't come across any software that doesn't work.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:21 am

I'm running Win 10 on my pc and everything works fine.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Hensman Int'l » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:48 am

My WinXP Pro machine started dying at the beginning of the year so had to bite the bullet and by a new machine with Win10 installed. The one thing I hate is the manual adjustments to "administrator only" files in trying to delete/move/edit.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby ElliotM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:59 am

Sounds like UAC, that came with Windows starting with Vista.
ElliotM

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 am

I tried Windows 10 when it first came out and didn't like it at all. Compared to Windows 7 (my current system), it's so bland and lacking in eye candy, it looks like an early beta version and not a finished product. I tried it again a few months later in case it had improved but it seemed pretty much the same. As a result, I've decided to stick to Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 am

I'm with David on this one. I still use Win 7 on my desktop as it looks great and works the way I want it to. Win 8/10 just seems targeted at touch screens to the detriment to desktops, looks worse, and I just can't see the benefit. I'll probably upgrade when I have to - when driver support stops for WIn 7, but in the meantime I'll just stick.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to Drifting Off-Topic