ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Alternative to Dropbox

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Alternative to Dropbox

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi all,

I have been using Dropbox as a location to store the zipped executables of my games so that players who do not have ADRIFT installed on their PC's can download and play the games.

Since I uploaded the zipfile of my latest game 'The Lost Children' to Dropbox, my account has been temporarily disabled due to "excessive traffic". Quite what this means I have no idea, it has never happened before.

I have been thinking of finding an alternative to Dropbox anyway, because there is no option available which will tell me how many times the game files have been downloaded.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Dropbox, especially one which might be able to tell me how many times a file has been downloaded. I only want to use the website to store my zipped games on, nothing else. I would prefer a free one, but don't mind paying if it is not too expensive.

Thanks for reading this.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Re: Alternative to Dropbox

Postby Denk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi Lazzah,

I have had the same problem with dropbox, because dropbox do not like a lot of downloads, so I found an alternative. Though this alternative does not fulfill your requirements for counting downloads, at least it works. I have simply purchased a webhotel through unoeuro ( http://www.unoeuro.com ). The price is 1.25 euro/month. I haven't bothered to make a webpage. All there is, is a folder I upload my games to, and then I can link to them. For those experienced with webpages there might be more elegant ways but this works.

I too would be interested in a cheap solution, which counts the number of downloads, so lets hope somebody else joins this thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby ParadoxGames » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:51 pm

I use box.com, having had problems with dropbox myself. I like them.
ParadoxGames

Postby Lazzah » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:00 am

ParadoxGames wrote:I use box.com, having had problems with dropbox myself. I like them.

Hi PG,

Does box.com have an option to count downloads of your files?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ParadoxGames » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm

I had computer issues for 10 days, so didn't answer promptly.
I don't think box.com has the feature you seek. Sorry for the delayed reply.
ParadoxGames

Return to Drifting Off-Topic