ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How old were you?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

How old were you?

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 am

I read somewhere that a guy remembered his first encounter with the IF world. He was about 3 years old and he enjoyed watching his dad play one of Sierra-on-line's graphic adventures.
That made me think.
1: How old were you when you first encountered IF, and what sparked your interest ?
2: What would be an appropriate age to start IF? If you were to introduce your kid to IF.
3: Are there any games out there for kids?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: How old were you?

Postby David Whyld » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 am

I don't know about 2 and 3 but for 1:

I would have been about 10 and the first IF games I played were on the ZX Spectrum with its wonderful rubber keys. I don't remember the first IF game I played but the one I always remember - heck, it might even have the first - was "The Hobbit". Still a classic after all these years.

I was never much good at those games to begin with, but I improved over the years. I had massive amounts of patience back then and didn't get frustrated with bad design and guess the verb the way I do now. If the game killed me off totally at random and through no fault of my own, I'd simply start it again and hope next time I managed to avoid the random death.

If the IF scene back then was like it is now - arty works that aren't really games at all - I doubt I'd have ever bothered with it.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am

David: The Hobbit was my favourite too. (as I have stated several times)
Although I totally agree with your comment about the IF scene of today versus that of back when, I must say that I truly enjoyed the early Sierra games. Kings Quest - Larry - Police Quest & Space Quest.
Looking back with the eyes of today, I'll admit that the graphic was terrible, but the games were very well done (playwise) and was incredibly entertaining.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby J. J. Guest » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 am

I got my first home computer when I was 13. It was an Acorn Electron, and the first commercial text adventures I can remember playing were Stranded by Superior Software, the Scott Adams games The Count and Ghost Town, Crowther and Woods' Adventure, and Twin Kingdom Valley. I used to go around to a friend's house and play on his ZX Spectrum, and he had a large number of the Zenobi Software games, as well as a very silly game called The Bimbles, a parody of The Wombles, billed as "the game no-one's been waiting for". Neither machine had enough RAM to run the Infocom games, so they were simply unavailable.

I first started writing IF a year or two later when I was given a book called Games And Other Programs For The Acorn Electron. It included a type-in adventure game whose name I have now forgotten, which formed the basis for most of my early efforts. I can remember expanding the two word parser so that it understood four words. I was very proud of that. I was even more proud of my meticulous recreation of the Scott Adams split-screen display, which I thought was a tremendous innovation since it removed the need to type "look" constantly. I am still surprised that this did not become the standard way to play parser-based IF.

Later on I invested in the Adventure Creator, which was a pared-down version of the Graphic Adventure Creator. The poor 32K Electron didn't have enough RAM for the graphics. When I upgraded to the BBC Master Compact I went back to programming in BASIC.
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Postby rotter » Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm

I would have been around 19 when I purchased a Sinclair ZX81 for £79 (I think) when it was released in the UK (Google when that was!!!!). I played games like "Adventure A: Planet of Death" and the like by Artic Computing. Then a couple of years later I upgraded to the ZX Spectrum 16K. Of course the "The Hobbit" would be on my top five fav list. But, my number one would be the Level 9 game "Lords of Time". I've said before one example of the writing is when opening a tin of cat food ‘The vile smell of whale meat assails your nostrils’. Brilliant.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon May 29, 2017 2:13 pm

I was 5 or 6. My dad took me into his office on weekends and we would play the original Zork over the network.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Hensman Int'l » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:44 am

1) Zork came out in the '80s, so that would put me in early 20's. Started playing computer games though on the Commodore VIC20, and programming onto the cassette tapes. (That really dates me. :roll: )

2) If a child can read and write, I'd say let them play! Of course any parent should determine what games they believe is appropriate - which means they should play IF too.

3) ? Don't know off hand.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Return to Drifting Off-Topic