ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Worst Case Scenario

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Worst Case Scenario

Postby saabie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 am

Here is what my runner looks like at the moment, but the look of it can easily be changed to whatever layout most people prefer. I can make all the colors, button sizes, and possibly the layout customisable if needed.
This shows the debug page as I wrote that first to use for debugging the program itself.
Debug.JPG
Debug.JPG (141.5 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

The main page uses a full HTML display component and separate panels for map and pictures the same way ADRIFT layouts work.
Different Ctrl/Fx key functions:
Easy - All the control and function keys can be made fully customisable.
Compatibility
The first release will only run recent ADRIFT 5.0 releases, then I will have to add support for the various things that Campbell has changed during development so I can support older v5 games.
V3/V4 will need a whole new file loader and other changes so it is a fair bit of work.
Map
Will be a 2-D map, so to view separate levels you can move up and down with a slider, so I will need to display up/down arrows like v4.
It will still use the predefined v5 layout rather than being regenerated each turn.
I could make the symbols used customisable so you can have U/D, pointing hands or arrows.
I will probably also allow you to add an icon to each location, change the color, and other options.
Multiple commands on one line
Should be pretty easy to do.
Text entry bar
Auto-resize is easy. It should also be possible to put the input prompt inside the main text window for those that prefer it.
Shortcuts
Adding extra commands like INC FONT and DEC FONT is easy, I could even let you define your own.
Edit mode
Easy.
Online Play
Free-Pascal has components for creating web servers easily, so this should be doable.
Other IF systems
I had a look at some other systems like z-code and they look a lot more complex than I was expecting, so it would be quite a bit of extra work (It might be easier to splice in somebody else's existing source code or have my program start the appropriate interpreter and switch to it)
Schedule
1. Release runner compatible with ADRIFT 5 games made in the last couple of years - Aiming for Christmas.
2. Get my own game finished in time for spring thing.
3. Blorb file loader.
4. Fix compatibility with earlier ADRIFT 5 releases.
5. Write a loader for v3/v4 games.
6. Maybe a z-code interpreter module. Maybe an ADRIFT generator if Campbell does not return.
saabie

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am

Dang! :bravo:
I damned well hope Campbell sees this.
Great job, Saabie :thanks:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm

If you want to include Zcode, you should start by reading the zmachine specification ( http://inform-fiction.org/zmachine/stan ... index.html )
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lumin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Aside from backwards compatibility I'm with Deno on seeing improved online play as the most important thing. Never cared for it myself but if the goal is to bring in new blood it's a necessity.

Been a lot of doom and gloom around here for quite awhile now, but saabie's post cheered me right up. That looks fantastic, I'm seriously impressed. :D
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Saabie, that's actually a lot better than I was expecting. Multiple commands on the same line is something I've been hoping for in v5 for years now but despite frequent requests for it, nothing's ever happened. I have no idea why. v4 had it and it was a godsend for testing games, so I can't understand why it was never implemented in v5.

A map with clear indicators of which way you can go is also a godsend. The one in v5 is next to useless when you have locations on different levels because you can only see the locations by dragging and dropping the map around the screen.

Being able to play v4 and v5 games in the same Runner? That's probably the best news right there. There's really no reason to have separate Runners for each version of ADRIFT and this will solve that nasty issue of players using the v5 Runner to play v4 games, and running into auto-update issues, which has plagued ADRIFT for years.

The other stuff is just icing on a very nice cake.

For the first time in years, I'm actually excited about ADRIFT again and feel it really could have a future after all.
David Whyld

Return to Drifting Off-Topic