ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

question about forum layout

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

question about forum layout

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

Okay, this has been bugging me for a long time. And yes, probably only me, but whatever. Nitpicking time.

Why is there so much empty space in the panel to the left of this post? You know, the ones that always contain our (tiny) avatars and a small bit of text?

Is this all a default thing with the forum layout? Because it's just this giant ugly gap of blank space that's literally twice the size it needs to be.
Last edited by Lumin on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: question about forum layout

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 am

I think it's the way you have the board preferences set up in the control panel. I don't see any space to the right of my post and my avatar is to the left.

Edit: yes, looks like you have yours set to Prosilver which puts the avatar on the right hand side. Mine is set to Skyblue.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 pm

David Whyld wrote:I think it's the way you have the board preferences set up in the control panel. I don't see any space to the right of my post and my avatar is to the left.

You know, a funny thing just happened. YOU thought my post said the avatar was to the right (possibly because old and such) but anyone looking at it now can clearly see it says 'left.' And that's what it's said from the beginning. So there.

I'll have to look at the preferences though, I'm using the default as far as I know but then again I may have changed it years ago and forgotten, who knows.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Ah, you can't pull a fast one like that on me. I have the original post presented here in all its totally 100% unedited not been changed a bit glory:

Lumin wrote:Okay, this has been bugging me for a long time. And yes, probably only me 'cos I'm like silly an' everything, but whatever. Picking my nose time.

Why is there so much empty space in the panel to the RIGHT of this post? You know, the ones that always contain our (tiny) avatars and a small bit of text?

Is this all a default thing with the forum layout? Ha no! Lol! Because it's just this giant ugly gap of blank space that's literally twice the size it needs to be. Like my mouth!

See? :)

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

David Whyld wrote:Ah, you can't pull a fast one like that on me. I have the original post presented here in all its totally 100% unedited not been changed a bit glory:

Lumin wrote:Okay, this has been bugging me for a long time. And yes, probably only me 'cos I'm like silly an' everything, but whatever. Picking my nose time.

Why is there so much empty space in the panel to the RIGHT of this post? You know, the ones that always contain our (tiny) avatars and a small bit of text?

Is this all a default thing with the forum layout? Ha no! Lol! Because it's just this giant ugly gap of blank space that's literally twice the size it needs to be. Like my mouth!

See? :)

Ahahaha, on my phone and at first glance all I saw was the bolded word. Turns out this post is not at all how I remember it, though. Huh, I guess I must be getting old too...
Lumin

Postby saabie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 pm

All you need to do is zoom in on the web page until the extra space disappears.
Of course then all the words will be five times bigger so you will need to stand five times further away from the screen and do a lot of scrolling to read the text :whistle:
saabie

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 am

Threads are the only part of the site that actually look better on mobile. Seems to be a PC issue only.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 am

I would give David at least 2 points for catching Lumin in trying to cheat... :yeah:
And take away 5 points from Lumin for cheating.. :shock:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 pm

I think I deserve another point for getting the new admin to agree with me. Go me! And he deserves a point for siding with me over Lumin's cheating ways.

Re the big space at the left / right of the post, I only get that when I zoom out a lot. At my normal view - zoomed in on account of the text being tiny otherwise - the space is barely noticeable.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 pm

I am in possession of 2,918 points on CYS. I will simply import a few over to counter this nonsense.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 am

Lumin wrote:I am in possession of 2,918 points on CYS. I will simply import a few over to counter this nonsense.

Importing points from a third party forum will be considered contraband and will be confiscated and shared (almost) equally amongst the other forum members. :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Having explored the different board themes and found them all terrifying and strange, I'm going to try to get used to subsilver2 regardless since it keeps things where they're supposed to be, yet removes the giant blank space I was complaining about when viewed from a PC.

prosilver was also kind of nice for moving avatars to the right because for whatever reason it bugs me when text scrolls alllll the way to that edge of the screen, but that one also removed quote and edit and various other buttons invisible. Although I'm guessing it's not actually supposed to, and they were still there when I hovered the mouse around, just invisible.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:48 pm

There are some seriously weird themes in the control panel which I've never really bothered with, but some are kinda nice (in a seriously weird way, of course).

AcidTech Green - so named because it looks like you're on acid - turns everything black with white and green text. Can't say I like it much but it's certainly different.

Prosilver puts the avatars on the right and the text on the left which looks a bit odd to me.

Quasar has this huge space on the right hand side because it puts the options there instead of neatly at the top like in the other themes. Definitely not for those with a phobia of big empty spaces :)

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Po, is installing new styles something you could use your shiny new adminship to do, or does it have to be Campbell?

Some of these look really nice...

e: aww there are even new smiley packs too :3
Lumin

Return to Drifting Off-Topic