ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:22 am

Ok, the point system is up and limping rofl
I have given each Drifter 10 points to begin with. This had to be done manually so if there are anyone out there who hasn't received his/her points pls. PM me and I will add them asap.

Everybody starts out with 10 points (and NO! Lumin... you CAN NOT transfer points from the other website :wink: )

Now all we have to do is to establish some general rules for earning the points. I have taken the liberty to write up some suggestions. But feel free to add on to them (within reason of course :wink: ) (these goes for Adrift subjects only, of course)

So far there the following points will be awarded:

1: 5 Points for releasing a game, with an option of adding points. (Has to be uploaded to the official Adrift Website)
2: 5 points for writing a review.
3: 10 points for organizing a competition, or an activity on the forum.
4: 100 points for winning an official IF competition (Spring Thing, IF Comp etc.)
5: 5 points for entering an Adrift competition
6: 20 points for winning an Adrift competition
7: 1 point for participating in an activity on the forum. (such as the writing prompt)
8: 10 points for Birthdays.
9: 20 points for entering an official IF competition (Spring Thing, IF Comp etc.)
10: 3 points for contributing to V.5 (such as an tutorial or a buy / sell module etc.)

More may be implemented should the need arise.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: POINTS

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 am

Does the person who suggested the points system get a bonus of, say, 20000 points? :)

Just askin' :)
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:20 am

David Whyld wrote:Does the person who suggested the points system get a bonus of, say, 20000 points? :)

Just askin' :)

Only if we can get people to agree that the person who MANUALLY set it up gets 30000 :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Oh cool we're really doing this.

I'm going to keep my points tally in my signature, and I'll try real hard not to accidentally add any zeros.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Are the points going to be awarded retrospectively or from now?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 pm

rotter wrote:Are the points going to be awarded retrospectively or from now?

I was assuming it's a 2018 and onwards thing. Can't reward anyone for old work or David would instantly destroy us all and no one would ever be able to catch up.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:50 pm

If we did it retroactively, it'd be impossible for newbies to ever catch up (or at least very unlikely). I think a fresh start is best. Not to mention how much work it'd be to award points for everything people have done since the forum launched all those years ago.

Saying that, I'd be curious to see how many points I'd have if everything from day one was added.

David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:43 am

I'd say we do it from 2018 and onwards...
Does everyone agree on the "scoreboard" so far, or is there any changes / suggestions to the earning of points and the number thereoff.
Finally, please have patience with me. I will add the points as fast as possible, I promise.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 am

Somehow I actually completely failed to notice that these were under our avatars now.

Can you basically write anything you want there?
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:08 am

Lumin wrote:Somehow I actually completely failed to notice that these were under our avatars now.

Pretty much I guess.. But I think you have to be at least Site Admin to do so...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 am

Po. Prune wrote:Does everyone agree on the "scoreboard" so far, or is there any changes / suggestions to the earning of points and the number thereoff.

I'm fine with them as they are, but I'd also like to add extra ones for special occasions - like 15 points for your birthday or 10 points because you've been on the forum for a year and similar things. Can we also have this thread stickied? Otherwise newbies won't have any idea what the points themselves mean. Also, is there any way to indicate what the points were awarded for? Like if you click on the points total and it takes you to a separate thread which lists "Someone was awarded 10 points for doing this; Someone Else was awarded 40 points for something else..."

Otherwise, good work :)

David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:19 pm

David Whyld wrote:
Po. Prune wrote:Does everyone agree on the "scoreboard" so far, or is there any changes / suggestions to the earning of points and the number there off.

I'm fine with them as they are, but I'd also like to add extra ones for special occasions - like 15 points for your birthday or 10 points because you've been on the forum for a year and similar things. Can we also have this thread stickied? Otherwise newbies won't have any idea what the points themselves mean. Also, is there any way to indicate what the points were awarded for? Like if you click on the points total and it takes you to a separate thread which lists "Someone was awarded 10 points for doing this; Someone Else was awarded 40 points for something else..."

Otherwise, good work :)

I've added birthday points.
As for the points for having been with the forum for a year. Do you mean that the points are awarded every year, or just the first year you've been with the forum?
The thread should be "sticky" already.
I have no idea whether it's possible to get a list of what points are awarded for although I like the idea. :)
In the meantime I was planing on posting here whenever someone has been awarded points, or perhaps starting a new one: POINTS AWARDED. But that thread would be for site admins only or I'm afraid that the subject will be drowning in congrats and other comments.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Po. Prune wrote:As for the points for having been with the forum for a year. Do you mean that the points are awarded every year, or just the first year you've been with the forum?

I'd probably go with points awarded for every year you've been on the forum starting with 2018. If you include all the years since the forum began in 2002, that gives people who registered back then an unfair advantage, and a great deal of those people haven't been here for years so it'd be strange giving them points for it.

David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

What do we think about making the points given for uploading a game a little more flexible? Not all games are created equal, and although quality may be subjective there are other factors like size. Some fine print about a game needing to use understandable English and be completable might be good to put in now, even if it is more of a newbie issue and well...the river of newbies seems to have dried up a bit lately.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Lumin wrote:

Pretty much I guess.. But I think you have to be at least Site Admin to do so...

Oh, nice. I would be very tempted to abuse this.
Lumin

Next

Return to Drifting Off-Topic