ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: POINTS

Postby R2T1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 am

(Darn, I'm smart! :D )

Must be all that problem solving. Keep this up and you will need a bigger hat. rofl (as if having ADMIN status isn't enough)

IF V5 games add 40% to filesize, then perhaps you could apply a 40% discount to V5 games to award points fairly? Not sure if that would work or not.
R2T1

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

It might be better to just increase the size of old games by 40% as most new games will likely be written in v5.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 am

Mine came out to 16k somehow lol.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:25 pm

v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

David Whyld wrote:v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)

I wanted it to just be 1k for comedy purposes but v5 has all the alternate task descs and it's easier to do random text. :(
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Lumin wrote:
David Whyld wrote:v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)

I wanted it to just be 1k for comedy purposes but v5 has all the alternate task descs and it's easier to do random text. :(

I see this as a typical example of the problem we'll face when trying to award points to a game.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Shall we just scrap the whole idea of assigning points based on game size? There's never going to be a definitive way of doing it that works well enough. Maybe just 10 or 20 points for each game and leave it at that?
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm

David Whyld wrote:Shall we just scrap the whole idea of assigning points based on game size? There's never going to be a definitive way of doing it that works well enough. Maybe just 10 or 20 points for each game and leave it at that?

One word: 1d20

...or is that three words?
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 am

Just to add to the confusion:
How about 20 points for adding a game and then we can discuss additional points for efforts and playability in the game discussion thread?
It may be a long shot, but hopefully this will help bring life to the forum. Also the author can defend his/her actions in the thread too. For instance if there's a puzzle that deducts point s/he can explain why this puzzle were implemented. (Am I getting totally side tracked here? :| )
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 am

20 points by default is still a LOT. I feel pretty strongly there needs to be some kind of distinction between mini games and regular ones. Or at least make the base amount something much lower, like five points with that option of more being added on. I'm pretty sure in most cases we'll want to add more, and more importantly this gives a reason to play and actually discuss a new game. Which again, we're not exactly inundated with so it's not like this is a strain on anyone's schedule.

I mean, I wrote a 1k (under 1k?) 'game' that is just a single task I was using to test out text variables and uploaded it mostly as a joke. It took less than an hour. That is not worth 20 points and even five is a stretch. Theoretically I could farm over 100 points in a day using this method. :P
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Since we can't seem to agree, here's a radical new take on things:

Do we need a ton of points for publishing a game at all, regardless of the size? If the most efficient form of points farming comes instead from writing reviews, then new games will get played and reviewed. Which works a heck of a lot better as motivation for making them in the first place and is the main thing this community has been lacking in even since the old days.

Maybe just a simple five point flat reward, with the option to win quite a bit more in contests. We could even leave open the possibility of nominating a non contest story that really goes above and beyond for some kind of bonus.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 am

Lumin wrote:20 points by default is still a LOT. I feel pretty strongly there needs to be some kind of distinction between mini games and regular ones. Or at least make the base amount something much lower, like five points with that option of more being added on. I'm pretty sure in most cases we'll want to add more, and more importantly this gives a reason to play and actually discuss a new game. Which again, we're not exactly inundated with so it's not like this is a strain on anyone's schedule.

I mean, I wrote a 1k (under 1k?) 'game' that is just a single task I was using to test out text variables and uploaded it mostly as a joke. It took less than an hour. That is not worth 20 points and even five is a stretch. Theoretically I could farm over 100 points in a day using this method. :P

Ok...
5 points for releasing a game. (done deal!)
Option for adding more points. (done deal!)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am

It's always nice when people are willing to accept my opinion is the objectively correct one without putting up too much of a struggle. :)
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 am

Lumin wrote:It's always nice when people are willing to accept my opinion is the objectively correct one without putting up too much of a struggle. :)

Don't push it, Texan. You were lucky this time. 8)
rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Now we've got this whole points thing going - damn good idea whoever it was that suggested it :) - there should be a place on the forum to view the point totals just so we can see who's got the most. (Which currently is Lumin. Which is wrong. On so many levels.) Could it be added to the Members section so we can sort by points as well as members, posts, join dates, etc?
David Whyld

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic