POINTS

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.
User avatar
R2T1
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 am
Points: 13
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: POINTS

Post by R2T1 »

(Darn, I'm smart! :D )
Must be all that problem solving. Keep this up and you will need a bigger hat. rofl (as if having ADMIN status isn't enough)

IF V5 games add 40% to filesize, then perhaps you could apply a 40% discount to V5 games to award points fairly? Not sure if that would work or not.
David Whyld
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Points: 35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: POINTS

Post by David Whyld »

It might be better to just increase the size of old games by 40% as most new games will likely be written in v5.
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

Mine came out to 16k somehow lol.
David Whyld
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Points: 35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: POINTS

Post by David Whyld »

v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote:v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)
I wanted it to just be 1k for comedy purposes but v5 has all the alternate task descs and it's easier to do random text. :(
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
Posts: 4775
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:18 am
Points: 133
Location: Denmark

Re: POINTS

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote:
David Whyld wrote:v5 games will be much larger than v4 games due to all the additional library files. If you create a v5 game with one location and nothing else, it will be 16kb; the same game in v4 is 1kb. So your game is actually 1kb masterpiece :)
I wanted it to just be 1k for comedy purposes but v5 has all the alternate task descs and it's easier to do random text. :(
I see this as a typical example of the problem we'll face when trying to award points to a game.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
David Whyld
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Points: 35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: POINTS

Post by David Whyld »

Shall we just scrap the whole idea of assigning points based on game size? There's never going to be a definitive way of doing it that works well enough. Maybe just 10 or 20 points for each game and leave it at that?
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote:Shall we just scrap the whole idea of assigning points based on game size? There's never going to be a definitive way of doing it that works well enough. Maybe just 10 or 20 points for each game and leave it at that?

One word: 1d20

...or is that three words?
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
Posts: 4775
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:18 am
Points: 133
Location: Denmark

Re: POINTS

Post by P/o Prune »

Just to add to the confusion:
How about 20 points for adding a game and then we can discuss additional points for efforts and playability in the game discussion thread?
It may be a long shot, but hopefully this will help bring life to the forum. Also the author can defend his/her actions in the thread too. For instance if there's a puzzle that deducts point s/he can explain why this puzzle were implemented. (Am I getting totally side tracked here? :| )
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

20 points by default is still a LOT. I feel pretty strongly there needs to be some kind of distinction between mini games and regular ones. Or at least make the base amount something much lower, like five points with that option of more being added on. I'm pretty sure in most cases we'll want to add more, and more importantly this gives a reason to play and actually discuss a new game. Which again, we're not exactly inundated with so it's not like this is a strain on anyone's schedule.

I mean, I wrote a 1k (under 1k?) 'game' that is just a single task I was using to test out text variables and uploaded it mostly as a joke. It took less than an hour. That is not worth 20 points and even five is a stretch. Theoretically I could farm over 100 points in a day using this method. :P
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

Since we can't seem to agree, here's a radical new take on things:

Do we need a ton of points for publishing a game at all, regardless of the size? If the most efficient form of points farming comes instead from writing reviews, then new games will get played and reviewed. Which works a heck of a lot better as motivation for making them in the first place and is the main thing this community has been lacking in even since the old days.

Maybe just a simple five point flat reward, with the option to win quite a bit more in contests. We could even leave open the possibility of nominating a non contest story that really goes above and beyond for some kind of bonus.
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
Posts: 4775
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:18 am
Points: 133
Location: Denmark

Re: POINTS

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote:20 points by default is still a LOT. I feel pretty strongly there needs to be some kind of distinction between mini games and regular ones. Or at least make the base amount something much lower, like five points with that option of more being added on. I'm pretty sure in most cases we'll want to add more, and more importantly this gives a reason to play and actually discuss a new game. Which again, we're not exactly inundated with so it's not like this is a strain on anyone's schedule.

I mean, I wrote a 1k (under 1k?) 'game' that is just a single task I was using to test out text variables and uploaded it mostly as a joke. It took less than an hour. That is not worth 20 points and even five is a stretch. Theoretically I could farm over 100 points in a day using this method. :P
Ok...
5 points for releasing a game. (done deal!)
Option for adding more points. (done deal!)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
User avatar
Lumin
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm
Points: 54

Re: POINTS

Post by Lumin »

It's always nice when people are willing to accept my opinion is the objectively correct one without putting up too much of a struggle. :)
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
Posts: 4775
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:18 am
Points: 133
Location: Denmark

Re: POINTS

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote:It's always nice when people are willing to accept my opinion is the objectively correct one without putting up too much of a struggle. :)
Don't push it, Texan. You were lucky this time. 8)
rofl
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
David Whyld
Posts: 7009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Points: 35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: POINTS

Post by David Whyld »

Now we've got this whole points thing going - damn good idea whoever it was that suggested it :) - there should be a place on the forum to view the point totals just so we can see who's got the most. (Which currently is Lumin. Which is wrong. On so many levels.) Could it be added to the Members section so we can sort by points as well as members, posts, join dates, etc?
Post Reply