The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What do you call?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

What do you call?

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:06 pm

What is the end of a ramrod called?
I'm looking for the name of the "thingy" with which you push the gunpowder down to the bottom of the cannon.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
Posts: 4414
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark
Points: 58

Re: What do you call?

Postby saabie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Just the ram as far as I know.
A ramrod is simply a ram attached to a rod and it is used for ramming the gunpowder into the cannon.
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Points: 50

Re: What do you call?

Postby Lazzah » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm

If you look at this website: ... _tools.htm you will see that there were several tools employed for use with a cannon. The one you are referring to was the "rammer" but there was another for sponging out the barrel after a shot had been fired so that any remaining bits of burning gunpowder were extinguished. If the gun crew didn't do that there was the danger of the next cartridge (gunpowder was usually supplied in canvas cartridges rather than as loose gunpowder) igniting and killing the gunner(s) - which sometimes happened in the heat of battle.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
User avatar
Posts: 2237
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am
Location: London, England
Points: 55

Return to Drifting Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 3 guests