ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Daza, you ok?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Daza, you ok?

Postby Lumin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm

I haven't seen you around Discord and I know it's been a rough couple of days for NZ. Just checking in and you know you can always vent here if it helps at all. Not sure which area you live in but obviously it was hitting close to home for everybody.

I'm obviously a little desensitized to this S**t because.you know, America and all, but this one's still going to disturb me a long time, the internet really turns out some sick and evil people. :(
Lumin

Re: Daza, you ok?

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 pm

I thought exactly the same thing.
I got a reply from him on General IF (the ideal maze) the 15th, though.

But Daza… Send us a word or two, ok?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm

The response to your was beforehand I think, but actually you're right I see he did post on the 5.0 forum too, I read the timestamp as morning instead of night before.

The only other NZ person I know online has been really freaked out and upset and still is so I just got to wondering when I didn't see him around.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi guys, sorry only saw your message now, i had a busy day yesterday. Yeah i'm okay, thanks for your concern. Really surprised this happened in NZ, a real cowardly and sickening act, it almost seems unreal this happened here in my country. Last time we had a mass shooting was in the late 80s.
I hope that attack does not lead to reprisals in NZ or around the world in the near future!
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 am

It's not just reprisals I'm worried about but also copycats. Dude is being cheered on by 8chan and some communities on reddit right now, and not just other white supremacists. People were cranking out memes of it the day of and so many young teens have seen the video. The entire thing was set up to be practically like a Counterstrike frag movie complete with one liners and memes and a funny soundtrack. (The closest parallel is honestly probably all the jihad memes and execution videos ISIS was cranking out for awhile there.)

He made it look stylish and easy and more importantly he survived to flash the white power symbol at the camera even while in handcuffs. And of course nothing actually all that bad will happen to him and he knows it, because it's freakin New Zealand. (One of his heroes and inspirations was the Nazi guy in Norway who murdered 77 people and is currently serving out a whole entire 21 years in a comfortable three room cell nicer than most apartments, with tons of books and DVDs and a library of Playstation games...the modern justice system is just not equipped to deal with situations like this, especially in the more liberal countries.)

Honestly I'm not sure if anybody here has even the casual connection to gamer communities and the like to get how infectious this kind of stuff can be or just how screwed up and detached from reality some of the people really immersed in them can get. Behind all the ironic edgy humor there's always a few people who are 100% serious about it and places like 8chan are a breeding ground for the alt right. It's not at all like in the early days where you had to actively search out the weird places on the internet to get involved in them, a kid can just watch game videos uploaded by the wrong person and suddenly their YouTube recommendations are full of stuff from white nationalists.

But at the same time I think this will serve as a wake up call to many by exposing the rotting cancer all their irony and memeing is dancing around. Most people who are casually attached to these communities aren't really true believers or really thinking through the implications, and while I haven't watched the video and have no desire too, everyone I'm aware of who has has been sickened by it. Even the reaction of kids who routinely watch execution vids and the like is pretty telling. You just can't sit through 40+ people being mowed down by a guy treating it like a joke and a video game without it turning your stomach if you have even a shred of human empathy left.

I guess time will tell what the fallout will be, but something about the guy gleefully yelling 'subscribe to Pewdiepie!' while gunning people down has collectively violated the psyches of a huge swath of the internet in a way just another mass shooting wouldn't have. Which of course is exactly what he was aiming for, but, I'm being optimistic (or maybe naive) in thinking anyone not already all the way gone will recoil from this stuff rather than wanting to emulate it.
Lumin

Return to Drifting Off-Topic