ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Quest 5

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Quest 5

Postby rotter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:09 pm

This is pretty off-topic for an ADRIFT forum, but has anyone tried Quest 5? I was bored so I had a quick look and I have to admit seems a lot better than I remember. It is not as good as ADRIFT 5 but pretty easy to use. Like the fact you can use the GUI or code or both. Depressing really - plus their forum actually feels alive.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Re: Quest 5

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 pm

I haven't actually touched Quest in years. In fact, I think the last version I tried was one of the earlier releases of Quest 4 and I didn't like it much so I decided not to bother with any later releases. I remember thinking there was a lot of power there, but the interface was so badly designed it just took an age to get anything done with it. I probably should check Quest 5 out one day, but I always feel like it's a bit of a wasted effort to write games with it. The main website is just full of games people wrote in five minutes with dozens of wonderful ratings for each, likely rated by the authors themselves or people who haven't even played the games. There are good games on there, but they quickly get lost amid all the tripe. Write a brilliant, mind-blowing landmark of a game and it'll likely get worse ratings than a one room game with a typo in the title written by WickedFabKoolKid235.

Definitely disagree about their forum, though. Ever since they ditched the old forum and switched to the bland mess they have now, it just looks and feels dead. It's about on par with the eyesore they have on Int.fiction these days and no real substitute for a proper forum.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Yeh, the Quest forum does look a bit stone-age. Not fantastically busy but probably a bit more active than over here. But, Q5 looks loads better than when I looked at Q4. Plus the online games actual seems to work; reliable online would be great for ADRIFT. But of course the quality of most of the Quest games seems to be about what I remember.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Online play doesn't bother me that much as I always download games if possible, but I agree it's important. Most people seem to prefer playing online to downloading so it's certainly a handy thing to have. Saying that, things aren't much better in the Quest world than over here, are they? I've seen quite a few threads over the past few years moaning about the state of online play for Quest; in fact, there's one running right now.
David Whyld

Return to Drifting Off-Topic