ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How's the apocalypse treating you all?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

How's the apocalypse treating you all?

Postby Lumin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Just wondering how you're all handling this stuff. Seems like everywhere in Europe has been locking down pretty hard in the last five days. And I know a lot of 'drifters are in the age range considered at risk so that's a little worrisome.

Meanwhile I just sit in my home being smug at the panic buyers, because I always keep toilet paper around.
Lumin

Re: How's the apocalypse treating you all?

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Lumin wrote:Just wondering how you're all handling this stuff. Seems like everywhere in Europe has been locking down pretty hard in the last five days. And I know a lot of 'drifters are in the age range considered at risk so that's a little worrisome.

Meanwhile I just sit in my home being smug at the panic buyers, because I always keep toilet paper around.

Are they panic buying in the US as well?! A lot of people of my generation (60+) are looking on at the panic buying in supermarkets with incredulity. We went shopping yesterday and it was worse than Christmas. People were bulk buying the most ridiculous things - one woman had 12 big bottles of bleach in her trolley! - and the queues for the checkouts stretched all the way along the aisles. I blame the media for all this. They've obviously got nothing else to report on since Brexit so they are whipping up all this hysteria about Coronavirus. They keep reporting on the number of people who have the virus but don't say how many have recovered from it. My daughter and my partner's daughter were both ill with similar symptoms last November, both recovered after a couple of weeks.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm

It all seems to be getting a little silly from what I can tell. I've got a friend who's a born hypochondriac who's decided to self-isolate even though he's had himself tested and been given the all clear. Then again, he's also hopelessly paranoid and seems to think he's going to catch every illness going around. Serious illnesses he's caught in his life to date: 0. Some of the people I work with are going to extremes: carrying around cloths to open doors with (so they don't have to touch anything with their bare hands), binge-buying essentials and rushing to the bathroom to have a wash every few minutes. Someone the other day even said "don't breathe near me!" to someone else, as if that's going to make any difference.

And me? I'm just sitting here, rolling my eyes and waiting for all the fuss to die down and people to get a grip. Considering the death rate in England currently stands at a whopping 11, it's accurate to say that crossing the road is more dangerous than coronavirus.

And yes, I find myself blaming the media, too, for all their scaremongering. People are gullible. They believe any old nonsense printed in the papers and don't bother applying a bit of common sense to it.

On the other hand, if it gets me a few weeks off work with full pay so I can 'self-isolate' on the back garden with a can of beer, I'm all for it. You have to take this sort of thing seriously, y'know?
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm

I guess one problem is, that there is a lot we don't know. No one knows the death rate because we don't know how many have been infected. This means that the the death rate estimate will be overrated. On the other hand, I just read an article in "The Lancet" which mentioned that the death rate might be much higher than estimated, because the number of deaths should be compared to the number of infected people 28 days ago, since it on average takes 14 days before symptomps occur and then it takes another 14 days before you die (if you die).

Add to this, that we do not know how contagious it is.

The question is, is it better to be safe than sorry?

So I have decided to take it seriously. I mainly want to reduce the risk of getting infected and to reduce the risk infecting others. If we are all doing that, the delay will hopefully ensure that not too many needs intensive care at the same time.

And hopefully, someone will tell me three months from now: "I told you so! It wasn't serious."

The fact is just that at the moment we don't know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm

by Lumin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm
Just wondering how you're all handling this stuff. Seems like everywhere in Europe has been locking down pretty hard in the last five days. And I know a lot of 'drifters are in the age range considered at risk so that's a little worrisome.

So, you're telling me that I'm old? That will be 15 points off your score... :P

@Lazzah, Yes, they are panicking all over the world. It's like toilet paper is the universal cure against the virus. Just like a tinfoil hat is against aliens trying to fry your brain rofl
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Why is the media over-hyping world wide this when we have had in the world in the last decade or so other outbreaks like the swine flu/ebola etc and i do not recall this level of hysteria in the media. Each year there a high number of deaths due to the common cold, cancer, car accidents, medical misadventures, work accidents etc. Nothing is in perspective and people are not thinking things through.

Even in my country NZ pretty much surrounded by ocean and only way in is by air or boat and we have 8 cases here (no deaths i don't think) and people here have been stocking up on toilet paper etc (but not clearing the shelves). Its crazy. I think there will be two groups those panicking and over stocking up and those who worry the first group will clean off the shelves leaving the second group with little or nothing. So it becomes like a vortex. Of course there also can be a thing were people are bombarded with negative news long enough they kind of shut off from it after growing tired of it, so hopefully people will come to their senses.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lazzah » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:18 am

Hi all,

I would have hoped, seeing as half the world has been told to stay indoors because of coronavirus, we might gave seen a bit more activity on the forum? :(
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:05 am

Lazzah wrote:Hi all,

I would have hoped, seeing as half the world has been told to stay indoors because of coronavirus, we might gave seen a bit more activity on the forum? :(

People are busy working on all their entries for the Annual IF Comp this year :-)

On another note.
I'm slowly going crazy here…
I work with SAS, that's Scandinavian Airline System, and not the other guys shooting guns, blowing up stuff etc. :wink:
So far they haven't found out what they're going to do with us (engineers) sending us home, keeping us because the planes still needs checks etc.
As it is now, I'm home because of my cancer, which puts me in the group of especially exposed people. Not so bad as it is with full pay but it's getting pretty boring especially since the weather hasn't exactly shown itself from the best side.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 am

I'm still at work for the foreseeable future. Every day I keep holding out the hope that this is the day they'll decide to send us home with full pay, but no such luck yet.

Walking through town on the way to work this morning was certainly sobering. Lots of shops closed, places like McDonalds, Costa and Starbucks still open but you can only buy things to take away and manic queues in supermarkets with people panic-buying. It's high time our wishy-washy government got their act together and enforced a curfew before things get worse.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many are still at work? I'm still here but it's looking likely we'll be sent home before the end of the week to work from home as best as we can. Can't happen soon enough if you ask me. I've gone from the "load of fuss over nothing" crowd to "holy S**t, it's looking like the end of the world" crowd in the space of a few weeks.

On a more light-hearted note, it amuses me that this forum censors the word S**t but also capitalises the first letter. What's that about? :)
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm

I've been functionally out of work since Wednesday. I can still get a couple hours here and there on certain days since the actual business hasn't closed, but I was dealing with hot/ready to eat foods as my part of it and that was obviously shut down .

From what the Surgeon General and well, everyone else in the medical community has been saying, things may get pretty bad for the US in the next couple of weeks. Still too many people acting like they don't get the 'you are infectious long before you have symptoms' part... Kids swarming the beaches who will turn around and visit Grandma for Easter, etc.

The panic buyers made it worse, created a situation where people *had* to go out and around in crowds just to try and locate basic things. It's been weird to watch, we usually get through hurricanes so well. But I guess the uncertainty of how long it's going to last that's the new factor here making everyone lose their minds. Given we have sooo many families and single moms especially here I suppose that's understandable.

And lots of people who did everything right are unfortunately still going to get sick because of one idiot in their lives. I'm lucky not to have any grandparents left or kids, but I feel like having my cousin living here is going to do me in, although I'm doing everything I can to avoid him. He's a very social and not especially clean manchild and him being here has never been more frustrating than it is right now. (Luckily I have a mini fridge and my computer in my room and a little bathroom attached, and very little else is needed in life....)

I've never agreed with the people around me trying to downplay the whole thing, the actual math even on a conservative estimate of infections was pretty sobering from the beginning. And I think we're going to see a lot more than expected if those numbers depended on everyone using common sense about this stuff... We've had all the usual shut downs here but people are still rolling their eyes and can't seem to take it seriously.

I hope what's been done is enough, but I kind of doubt it, although I'd obviously love to be proven wrong.

The annoying thing is that if it *is* kept manageable and we avoid the Italy situation, everyone will just be shaking their heads about all the precautions that contained it being 'for nothing' and learn exactly the wrong lessons.

....yes, I've had a little too much time to think about this stuff sitting at home, lol.

Mostly though I've just been enjoying the time to actually play through a bit of my Steam backlog, and trying not to stress any about the paychecks I'm missing out on.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Incidentally, this interview with the infectious disease doctor on Joe Rogan exactly two weeks ago marked the 'S**t gets real' moment for a lot of people I know, and it seemed like that was right when things started ramping up globally.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

Shutting down the NBA was also a big one. I don't know many sports fans personally but my boss sure went from saying everyone was an alarmist to talking about the 'nuclear option' of shutting down the door over just a few days in that window. And now he's showing up with a mask and gloves...
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm

The coronavirus thing hasn't affected me in the work sense as I am retired, but it has scuppered our plans to move home to Clacton on Friday. :cry:

Mind you, if our stupid buyer hadn't messed us about with the actual day of moving, we would have moved yesterday (Monday) and missed the lockdown by the skin of our teeth! :x
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Lazzah wrote:The coronavirus thing hasn't affected me in the work sense as I am retired, but it has scuppered our plans to move home to Clacton on Friday. :cry:

Mind you, if our stupid buyer hadn't messed us about with the actual day of moving, we would have moved yesterday (Monday) and missed the lockdown by the skin of our teeth! :x

But you still got the house, right?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Lumin wrote:I

And lots of people who did everything right are unfortunately still going to get sick because of one idiot in their lives. I'm lucky not to have any grandparents left or kids, but I feel like having my cousin living here is going to do me in, although I'm doing everything I can to avoid him. He's a very social and not especially clean manchild and him being here has never been more frustrating than it is right now. (Luckily I have a mini fridge and my computer in my room and a little bathroom attached, and very little else is needed in life....)

If it gets too bad you're welcome to come to Denmark for the duration.
Don't worry, you'll stay away from my wife and me. We have a garage 8) and a Jack Russell that will keep your company :wink:
See you. :angel:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Next

Return to Drifting Off-Topic