ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby Lumin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm

DarylSun wrote:
A hybrid of parser and CYOA games... I think I played something like that before, but I can't remember the title. Even so, Skybreak sounds interesting! Where I can find it?

It's been entered in the IFComp along with two other ADRIFT games. (https://ifcomp.org/)

IFComp voting is open till Nov 25th btw, so you've got plenty of time still to play any of the games that look interesting to you and help judge.
Lumin

Postby MOGz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 am

Eek! How did I miss this topic!

I stumbled upon IF in general just doing some curiosity browsing, partly for my own sake and partly because my kid has some vague interest in computer programming and coding (not sure how serious, but I like to be aware and up to date on things). I have no programming history or any real experience with IF, parsers, or anything really save CYOA books and the Lone Wolf book serious from waaay way back, which I think counts for what IF is (though not on a computer). But it looked interesting enough to download and try it out, and I am finding the process stimulating as well as inspiring, so...well, here I am!

I should say thanks to everyone who has helped me in general on my other threads that I posted before seeing this one. It has been really nice to have experienced people giving input so far (and also thanks for the patience!).
MOGz

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:24 am

The forum can go through slow/dead periods sometimes, so it's been nice having someone interested in trying different things around livening things up.

To me one of the most attractive things about Adrift is how flexible it is. You don't need to have much experience with traditional IF at all (let alone coding) to just pick it up and start making something. And for that matter you could use it to make CYOAs and games like the Lone Wolf books just as easily as anything else if so inclined.

I hope your kid takes the same interest in it as you do, and I'm looking forward to what sort of games you come up with!
Lumin

Previous

Return to Drifting Off-Topic