ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby The Wayfarer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Hello, I'm Charlie, a.k.a. The Wayfarer. Hail from a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, currently "between jobs". Been a fan of IF for a few years now, haven't really tried my hand at writing anything prefer to play. I saw mention of the V5 Intro Comp on the Int-fiction forum, played the games online and really liked a couple of them. Vote now cast!
The Wayfarer

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello Charlie.
Welcome to the Adrift scene. I hope you'll have a pleasant stay. You'll find us to be a nice bunch of guys and girls, always ready to help, so don't be aafraid to ask.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Driftwood » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Welcome Charlie, we're all nuts about IF so you're in good company. You won't find a nicer bunch in this forum. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Malle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 am

Hello people, my name is Maya, I am 18 years old, and my first post on this forum was a question, so that sets the tone of me I guess. (I would have preferred to start with posting a game or something, but I was just so stuck, I had to give in to my needs. Dx)
I was born in Denmark, raised in the Cook Islands, and brought back to Bornholm, Denmark about three years ago, basically switching one island for a bigger island.
I speak and write english and danish, along with smatterings of french, speckles of spanish and dust particles of maori (the local language of the place I was raised- go figure.)
In my spare time I enjoy composing music, playing guitar and piano, drawing/painting, and being generally lazy. I would like to utilise all of these hobbies -with the exception of being lazy of course- to my future text adventures. (I love being able to say I've done things by myself although thats not always possible)
I've also tried my hand at writing fan-fiction (which proved quite popular), normal fiction (which never saw the light of day) and just about everything creative there is to try.
I've worked with making games with flash, but after 'discovering' text adventures about 30 years too late, I decided that this is the type of game I would like to make instead :)
I would like to be a lawyer. If I don't like being a lawyer I'm aiming for president ;)
I think I have a habit of writing too little, or too much, and that pretty soon I will have reached 'too much'.
I actually think I've reached 'too much' now.
Unrelated- The sun is rising, making this the third day in a row of not sleeping. I think I'm going to bed now :(
-Maya leaves promptly with no thought for natural conclusions-
Malle

Postby Driftwood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:54 am

Welcome Maya, I enjoyed reading your post immensely. It's nice when people can open up and show their personality.
I share a couple of your hobbies:- playing guitar and keyboard, though the keyboard playing isn't quite so hot.
You've come to the right place. Adrift is probably the best IF creator there is and being continually developed and improved.
You'll most likely have a few hiccups with your first adventure, we all do, but there are a lot of very helpful and friendly people
on the forum to dig you out of the mire.
May your stay be long and happy.
:)
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 am

Hi Maya,

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT. Po.Prune will be pleased, he is also from Denmark! :)
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am

Lazzah wrote:Hi Maya,

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT. Po.Prune will be pleased, he is also from Denmark! :)

Po. Prune is absolutely thrilled rofl
Po. Prune

Postby Malle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am

Thank you both, I've recieved a lovely little welcome from Po. Prune, we are currently plotting the danish take-over of Adrift (or something) ;)
Thumbs up to you; Driftwood for being musical, thumbs up to Lazzah for the warm welcome. It seems like this is a very friendly environment :)
Po. Prune is absolutely thrilled rofl

I am absolutely thrilled! rofl
Malle

Postby jbstrand » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Hello all,

I am Martin, going under JB Strand, I'm 44 year old, married and live in Surrey, United Kingdom. My first adventure game was Pimania on the ZX-81 back in 1982, and I was hooked. Four years later I upgraded to a Commodore 64, and got myself immersed in the world of Zork: The Great Underground Empire, and a whole host of other adventure games.

So I wanted to write my own, and found a program called Adventure Writer, which I later learned was originally called The Quill. Together with a friend of mine we spend many long hours working on a whole host of adventure games based on our favourite franchises: Star Wars, Indiana Jones; however we never finished any of them, school getting in the way of things.

And then for a long time nothing, I found a job, got involved in local activities and really didn't have the time for playing or writing adventure games. Until in 1997 I was invited to join a PBeM (Play By eMail) and the writing bug caught me. Searching on the internet I found that the adventure gaming community was still very much alive, and found some really excellent games. And then I ran into ADRIFT 4, bought a license and played with it. And once again real life interfered.

I've now been using ADRIFT 5 for a couple of years, mostly trying things out, and have even started a number of games, but I get rather ambitious at times, rather than keeping it simple, so I write myself into a corner and being rather impatient give up. I'm currently writing an AIF, and using a mindmapper to keep me on track. No doubt I will write myself into a corner again, but I hope the forum will be able to help out.

I have to compliment the contributors to the ADRIFT wiki for the excellent resource it is. I've downloaded it and converted it into an e-book, so I can carry it around with me on my tablet.

A rather long introduction, but hopefully informative and entertaining.
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
Richard Buckminster Fuller
jbstrand

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum, we hope your stay will be a good one. :yeah:
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Martin.
Welcome to our corner of the IF universe. Looks like we have a lot in common.. Starting with the zx81 myself and the Quill etc.
I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
Po. Prune

Postby jbstrand » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Lazzah, Po. Prune,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward to contributing to the forum where possible and finally finishing my first game.
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
Richard Buckminster Fuller
jbstrand

Postby Spindraft » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Howdy, I am a welder/fabricator now teaching advanced pipe in the good ole state of Texas. My game hobbies include writing game reviews for my small indie mag called HAG/Horror Adventure Gaming, I also enjoy playing WURM where I have started a new village called Appalachia (about the fifth time I have started over in this world) and I have dabbled in many game creation software tools. I really like the idea of writing a text adventure and came to IF via searching out this option. I have jotted down so many ideas over the years and thought it would be nice to actually write one of them (it is actually a combo of many ideas). I tried Quest because I remembered it from years ago but became frustrated with its coding quirks. A new search brought me to Adrift and so far I love it. Really looking forward to creating here.
In the very lives that we live we create the greatest of works.
Spindraft

Postby Lazzah » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 am

Spindraft wrote:Howdy, I am a welder/fabricator now teaching advanced pipe in the good ole state of Texas. My game hobbies include writing game reviews for my small indie mag called HAG/Horror Adventure Gaming, I also enjoy playing WURM where I have started a new village called Appalachia (about the fifth time I have started over in this world) and I have dabbled in many game creation software tools. I really like the idea of writing a text adventure and came to IF via searching out this option. I have jotted down so many ideas over the years and thought it would be nice to actually write one of them (it is actually a combo of many ideas). I tried Quest because I remembered it from years ago but became frustrated with its coding quirks. A new search brought me to Adrift and so far I love it. Really looking forward to creating here.

Welcome Spindrift! We hope your stay will be a good one.

I myself used to be a welder/fabricator back in the 1970's and 80's when there were engineering companies in my part of Southeast London. I built ships in the last working shipyard on the Thames in London, which closed down in 1983. Sadly all the factories I worked in are long gone, now replaced by retail stores and housing. :cry:
Lazzah

Postby The Clockwork Rat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Hello Drifters. :)

I can't honestly say that I've ever been into Interactive Fiction or adventure games (of any stripe) that much. The reason I arrived here is because of an interest in various mechanics of play/narrative/agency/gaming such as described by the Youtube-based game critic Errant Signal, and a desire to experiment with mechanics and story which is hindered by a complete inability (or lack of sufficient motivation) to get to grips with any actual 'game' development software. The idea of writing text adventure stories was therefore pretty much the result of stripping down games to the parts I am most interested in, i.e. story, characters, agency.

Before registering with this forum, I tried a few IFs that have been recommended here but continued to get ... stuck. I suppose part of this is due to a lack of intuition by way of having barely played any IF.

So, I'm currently playing around with building a small-ish world with ADRIFT5 that is based on a story concept from last summer that I think should be flexible enough to fit in a limited environment whilst permitting decent narrative scope once I'm more comfortable with the engine. At the moment my main stumbling block is not understanding how to construct conversations. That being said, it's not quite so frustrating as a couple of days ago when I couldn't understand why my character could stand on a chair but not sit!

---

Other information that may or may not be interesting: I was born English but having lived in Scotland most of my life have adopted the latter as my identifying nationality. I studied Sociology in Edinburgh, and now work in a care home not in Edinburgh. I enjoy shooting, martial arts, archery, swimming, kayaking, climbing, hiking, and cooking, but actually spend most of my spare time reading blogs or playing video games.

I look forward to spending some time here amongst literate folks.
The Clockwork Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic