ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 am

Where did you live when you were in Edinburgh?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby The Clockwork Rat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 am

Mostly central: Newington, near UoE King's Buildings, and Tollcross. Admittedly, I thought it was pretty cool that ADRIFT's creator is from Edinburgh as well :)
Last edited by The Clockwork Rat on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clockwork Rat

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

I used to live close to Kings Buildings, in Liberton.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lyricasylum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:57 pm

I've met some of you already but I thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm 43 years old and I've been a medical technologist and a science teacher. When I was younger I was into rock climbing, canoeing, mountain biking and caving, but I don't really get out and do those things anymore. I first played IF in the late 1970s (Adventure on a mainframe computer) and in the early 80s I started with games like Zork and the Scott Adams Adventure International series.

I used to write IF in BASIC, which is an old programming language that you young people probably read about in history books. I discovered Adrift which makes the process much easier, though there's still a learning curve.

I have written a lot of poetry and I published a book. I have done some journalism and acting, and I was the lead guitarist in a heavy metal band back in college. I live in New York.
Lyricasylum

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:13 am

Well. since you post here I think it's only appropriate that we mae your welcome official then :wink:
Wellcome to out little corner of the IF universe Lyricasylym ... As Lumin, I'm going to call you Lyric from now on and save me a lot of key punching rofl
As you have probably already discovered by now, we're a pretty friendly gang here and some of us has been here since the time of dawn.
I hope you'll enjoy your stay and that you'll stay for a long time.

I myself, started writing IF on the old 48K Spectrum, using "the Quill" and "G.A.C" later moving on to the Amiga 500 and finally ending up with a "real" computer using Adrift.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby NowSeeHere » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey everyone! This looks like the spot to do the initial introduction thing, so here goes.

I'm 32 years old, father of two awesome sons, husband to one awesome wife. By trade, I am a contract support worker for a local manufacturing plant. Not a bad gig, and I can work from my couch! My hobbies and interests are all across the map. The absolute biggest and most consistent over the years has been my love of music. I play banjo and sing in an acoustic band. It's not what you're picturing though, I promise. It's a lot closer to acoustic punk than it is to bluegrass. :P

Regarding IF, I must admit that I am pretty new to the whole thing. I have put quite a few hours into MUDs in the past, and I read a whole bunch of the CYOA books when I was a kid. (Still occasionally like to flip through the ones my sons have as well!) I tried my hand at coding a few simple IF games back in the day, using basic, but besides that, that's about it!

I am extremely intrigued by the possibilities of Interactive Fiction. I have downloaded Adrift Developer and have been tinkering with it over the past few days. I still have a long way to go, but I am making progress. It's a whole new way to think about creating IF.

I think my first game is going to be a small supernatural mystery of sorts. I'm thinking a small'ish house and the surrounding yard areas. Seems small enough to be approachable, but big enough to perhaps make it interesting.

Anyway, that's me. You'll probably see me around pretty regularly. I'm thoroughly enamored with the whole IF thing!
NowSeeHere

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi there NowSeeHere,

Welcome to the ADRIFT forum! If you need any help at all, you just need to post a message in the ADRIFT5 forum and one of us will try to help you. We hope your stay will be a good one.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby NowSeeHere » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks, Lazzah! I appreciate it. So far, I am just scratching the surface. I have made rooms, and both static and dynamic objects. My test case was a key that was hidden in one room and was needed to open a door in another room. I did it using conditions. Something like "key must be held by player" I think. Not at the computer right now, so I can't check to be 100% sure, but it was close to that.
NowSeeHere

Postby Lyricasylum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:24 pm

NowSeeHere wrote:Thanks, Lazzah! I appreciate it. So far, I am just scratching the surface. I have made rooms, and both static and dynamic objects. My test case was a key that was hidden in one room and was needed to open a door in another room. I did it using conditions. Something like "key must be held by player" I think. Not at the computer right now, so I can't check to be 100% sure, but it was close to that.

For the door, first create a location group under Groups, including both rooms from which you can see the door. You can call the group "door" if you want. Then, when you create the door, have it start "In location group" and choose the group "door." This way, the door will be in both rooms.

You don't really need to have that restriction, "key must be held by player." What you can do is create the door as a static object with the property "Can be opened and closed" checked. Then check that is starts out locked. After that, it will ask you to choose an object to be the key. Choose the key object from the scroll-down list. Make sure you have the key object created first!

Now, when you run the game, the player will have to type "UNLOCK DOOR WITH KEY" or whatever you call the key. This will unlock the door. The game will automatically check that the player is holding the key. If not, it will give an error message like "You're not holding the silver key!" or whatever you call the key.

Welcome to the forum!
Lyricasylum

Postby AndrewF » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Been a long time away from Adrift writing (or trying to write) and other projects.

Feeling a bit burnt out with my fiction writing, I thought I'd come back to Adrift and have a look at my old unfinished game.

So here I am. :comb: :haha:
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby Lazzah » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm

AndrewF wrote:Been a long time away from Adrift writing (or trying to write) and other projects.

Feeling a bit burnt out with my fiction writing, I thought I'd come back to Adrift and have a look at my old unfinished game.

So here I am. :comb: :haha:

Welcome back Andrew! :claps:
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby AndrewF » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Lazzah wrote:Welcome back Andrew! :claps:

Thanks Lazzah :Thanks:
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby Lazzah » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am

Your list of favourite authors is very similar to mine. Now I have a Kindle, I have just been disposing of my massive paperback collection. I've made several journeys to local charity shops but they all told me they don't want any more! Ended up putting them in the book bank at the recycling centre. Am keeping any titles not available from Amazon.
Lazzah

Postby AndrewF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:20 am

Disposing of books ? :shock:

What did those poor books do to you, except entertain? :cry:

Although I might be biased as I currently have a library over 900 books, not including those I only have on Kindle. :)
- L. Long.

AndrewF

Postby Lazzah » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 am

AndrewF wrote:Disposing of books ? :shock:

What did those poor books do to you, except entertain? :cry:

Yes, shameful isn't it? However, since getting a Kindle, which is much easier on my arthritic hands, they were just sitting on the shelves gathering dust and some were falling to pieces as I had read them so many times over the years. Time to move on.

My wife, on the other hand, flatly refuses to use a Kindle.

Was your game written using ADRIFT 4 or 5?
Lazzah

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic