ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby ASchultz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm Andrew. I enjoyed the old Infocom games as a kid and kind of shelved IF stuff for a while. I really enjoy a lot of different games but don't need too many bells and whistles.

It's been interesting for me to see how there's been an emphasis on making puzzles solveable.

I know nothing about ADRIFT but it seems like a nice language to look into. Also, I recognize some names from the intfiction forum over here, so though I don't know you all that well, hello!
ASchultz

Postby Tyson » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 am

Allow me to reintroduce myself: I am the drifter formerly known as "The Dominant Species" or "TDS." I've been writing and publishing ADRIFT games for a while now. I've taken a long hiatus from IF but now I'm back.

So why the name change?

When I originally wrote IF games, I was young, immature, and stupid. I'm still young, immature, and stupid, but a little less so. I cringe at much of the stuff I've written under the TDS moniker. It's either (a) sophomoric, (b) cruel, (c) bad, or (d) a technical exercise.

Now that I'm older, I want to distance myself from those games. I don't want them on my resume, and I can't think of a better way to do that than using another name. (Fiction writers do this sometimes, so there is precedent.)

I'd also like to distance myself from the TDS persona. I'm different now. I'm going to graduate school soon ("postgraduate" for you non-US people), and I don't look at the world quite the same way.

In light of these changes, I've adopt a new name: Tyson Reilly. This is my first post.
Tyson

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 am

Cool! Hello, again, Tyson! What are you studying? Perhaps you'd care to write some flash IF for the new compilation? What sort of things do you feel you will write under this persona?

FYI, "The Professional" will always hold a special place in my heart.
Duncan_B

Postby Tyson » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Cool! Hello, again, Tyson! What are you studying? Perhaps you'd care to write some flash IF for the new compilation? What sort of things do you feel you will write under this persona?

FYI, "The Professional" will always hold a special place in my heart.

I plan to get a PhD in philosophy.

A compilation you say? I'd be interested in doing that. A comp is just the motivation I need to dust the cobwebs off my ADRIFT developer.

Lately, I've been into mystery games, so I'm thinking of making one of those. And concerning "The Professional": I'm actually thinking about making another satire of that nature. Generally, I want to make more full-sized games.
Tyson

Postby gordebak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm Bahri Gordebak, a 36-year-old guy from Turkey. My major was in Communications (Radio, TV and Cinema) and I'm making a postgraduate degree on Communication Sciences. But what I'd like to be is a writer.

I wrote several novels, and thought only one of them was of publishable quality. But apparently I was wrong. Every editor who "liked" my story suggested me to try other editors. Well, what are you gonna do?

I wrote a few comic scripts, that were drawn and published in some graphic novels in my country. I still want to write comic scripts, but I kinda lost the momentum. Maybe I will one of these days.

I love writing generally, but I have a special place in my heart for flash fiction. So I started writing IF with some flash fiction stories. They are far, far away from being perfect. They are more stories than games. But I like them that way.

So, that's me.

Edit: Ah, I forgot. I also like programming. I contributed some FOSS projects and developed most of TextRoom (A fullscreen rich text editor for writers).
gordebak

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 am

I wrote several novels, and thought only one of them was of publishable quality. But apparently I was wrong. Every editor who "liked" my story suggested me to try other editors. Well, what are you gonna do?

I've recently devoted part of my blog to cataloging the rejection letters I get from editors, some of which give this same kind of feedback. However, of those stories, some have gone on to be published at other locations. All you can do it keep trying.

Welcome to the ADRIFT Forum, Bahri. Glad to have you here.
Duncan_B

Postby gordebak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 am

Thanks Duncan.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm running out of publishing houses. Soon, all editors in Turkey will have liked my unpublished novel! I know, I know, I will keep on trying. Or write another one.

Edit: I don't want to seem to complain much. Just kidding. This is the natural course of being a writer.
gordebak

Postby ElliotM » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 am

If an editor likes your story and suggests that you try other editors, they are essentially saying they see potential in it but that it doesn't fit their publishing criteria/audience.

Flash fiction is neat. I also find Nano fiction interesting, which are much smaller at 55 words or less from the ones I've seen. Also, welcome to the forum, glad you came by our way.
ElliotM

Postby gordebak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks Elliot. I'm glad to be here too.

I tried nano fiction, but couldn't get a hold of it. They felt like unfinished. I don't know. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. But flash fiction length comes more natural to me.
gordebak

Postby shaunace » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi, my name is Shaun. I'm 18 and I've only played one IF game called Photopia (I have a lot to learn!), but I thought ADRIFT seemed like an easy way to make my own computer game. I also found another program called Inform, but it's harder for me to figure out. Does anyone use it?

Thanks!
shaunace

Postby jankupila » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:47 am

My name is Jan and I am 38 years old. I live in Helsinki, Finland. I was more active last summer here and if I remember right there was Adrift 5.0.19 that time. I happily notice the big progress about adrift 5.0 from that summer. Now I plan to start to learn adrift 5.0.
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Hello Jan.
Good to see another Scandinavian :wink:
I hope you'll have a good time here and enjoy your stay with us.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Peechiz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a 24-year-old grad student pursuing my MFA in Media Art at Emerson College in Boston. I play lots of videogames, I bike around beantown, and occasionally make time to feed myself. I'm an IRL friend of DCBsupafly, and I hope to finish writing my first game this summer.

Cheers,

-Peechiz
:yeah:
Peechiz

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 am

Hi there
Welcome to our little corner of the IF universe.
I hope you'll enjoy your stay...
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Teruka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello everybody! :)

I'm an art student and I occasionally learn bits and pieces about programming and such. Love video games, love movies, love science fiction! Recently started loving text adventures (Walker & Silhouette was my eye-opener, though I have to finish the game yet! :roll: ). First stumbled across Inform, then Tads, and now I've found Adrift, which is seems beautifully capable of creating the type of adventures I want to create.

Cheers! :)
Swimming in outer space!
Teruka

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic