ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Hello Teruka,

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT, if you need any help there are Drifters here who can solve most problems.

Where abouts in the world are you from?

We hope you will enjoy your stay here!
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby Teruka » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm

thanks! :)

I'm from a small coastal town in Croatia. There's much more rain here than people tend to assume, let me just say that. xD
Swimming in outer space!
Teruka

Postby Soothsayer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Hello all! It's good to be back here after so long and to find the new ADRIFT 5 in full development, a new Wiki and many of the old regulars still kicking arse! ;)

While it will be a long while before I have any adventures made, perhaps I will be of use with the usual mix of suggestions, bug reports and technical help for other members. After I get more used to v5, I might join the Wiki project since I have some experience administering the Wiki of a certain Flash game that developed a cult following.

Thank you Campbell for fixing my account!

Cheers!
Soothsayer

Hello, and all that

Postby Mykal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 am

I just wanted to say hello. I am new to this forum, and community, though not new to interactive fiction. Like most people on here, I grew up with it. In fact, I can dearly recall spending hours typing out those **** books you could buy, or get from the library, with code for your TRS-80. Imagine my rage when I discovered they would not work on my Tandy 1000 (did I mention programming is not my bag?) Anyway, I have been lurking around this forum, and others like it, for a few days now, as I stumbled upon an H.P. Lovecraft competition for IF called the Illuminated Lantern. I mostly danced around the room like a toddler with too much sugar, when I came accross this program. I am not certain if I shall tackle trying to contribute a game, though I do have skill set that may or may not be welcome to the community. I actually studied music composition at the University of British Columbia, and mostly went on to do indie film. I have scored a good thirty or so, mostly indie shorts, and even won an award or two, but most are doomed to obscurity lol. In point of fact, I ended up editing music for several television programs before I decided it was not for me. My first and foremost love is orchestral music, and most television music is some fellow leaning on his keyboard! It would not be so tragic if software had not filled the void, but there are several programs that can make a person who has yet to hear an orchestra reasonably fake some level of familiarity. Having said that, I feel you can always tell the difference! Also, I admit that narrative music requires an amount of transparancy, and have written more than my fair share of ambience. I ramble, and also mostly use samples to fake an orchestral sound (rarely get the budget for otherwise) and so am just being a grumble troll!
Anyway, I just wanted to say that this little club has really infused a great deal of joy in my life. I have yet to try the games, but only as I am trying to decide which ones I most want to play! Remember I am new, so don't judge! Please forgive the terrible spelling and syntax, and I am grateful for all the hours and hours of effort you put in the games that I am about to play! Quick question: Are there any Lovecraft based ones to start with? I am a bit of an addict for the fellow!
I will close with a link to a film I recently scored, though I did it in less than a week, (also it has been a while, as I started refusing film work) so not my best work. Mostly, the mix sounded somewhat "fuzzy to me" and lost the tone, but maybe I am just being paranoid. Whatever, here is the link and I have some credits on imdb.com if one cares to check under Michael Rissling, though most of my work did not really qualify, so I think I may have more actor credits than composing ha ha. I hope you enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2n0RcVfHWk
Mykal

Postby Lazzah » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 am

Teruka wrote:thanks! :)

I'm from a small coastal town in Croatia. There's much more rain here than people tend to assume, let me just say that. xD

A colleague at work recently went on holiday to Croatia (Rogoznica), she said it was the most beautiful place she had ever been to and she cannot wait to go back again.
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Postby Teruka » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Lazzah wrote:A colleague at work recently went on holiday to Croatia (Rogoznica), she said it was the most beautiful place she had ever been to and she cannot wait to go back again.

Yep, it can get pretty magical at times, especially if you're new to that sort of climate and landscapes. Too bad I got used to it by now... :roll:
Swimming in outer space!
Teruka

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Prepare yourselves for the greatest introduction ever, guys......

You ready for it?.....

Hi. I'm Jin.
Jin Sane

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 am

rofl
Swept me off my feet ... :P
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 47Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

Jin? Not... not... Death Agency Jin!

Dear Almighty, where's my Ban-Hammer? Aaarggh
David Whyld

Postby MileStyle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

David Whyld wrote:Jin? Not... not... Death Agency Jin!

Yes, that's it. I've been struggling to think of the name of that game for the last few days.
What, can the Devil speak true?
MileStyle

Postby Jin Sane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:00 pm

So.. I got curious and Googled "Death Agency". Came upon a thread at this very website discussing it. Lordy, it sounds like a deadful game. Was the author called "Jin"?
Jin Sane

Postby David Whyld » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Ah yes, Death Agency, a true... um... masterpiece of game writing and no mistake. I can honestly say, with complete sincerity, that no game since it has reached such a pinnacle of sheer awfulness. It began with the immortal introduction:

Helo u r 007. ur missen iz 2 kil zombees. if a zombee hits u 3 tims u iz ded. gud luk!

And ended as soon as the poor bastard playing it managed to type 'quit'.

Oh, and yes, the author was called Jin. No relation I hope? (... reaches for the Ban-Hammer just in case...)
David Whyld

Postby Jin Sane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Sounds like absolute an bombshell of awesomeness >_>

Don't worry. I'm not him, nor am I related to him. I'm just a 21 year old writer with a passion for fiction and video games.
Jin Sane

Postby Driftwood » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 am

Hi everybody, I just came back to Adrift and decided to give V5 a go. Been experimenting with Inform, TADS and Quest up till recently. V5 has got it's challenges but the persistence is rewarding and the forum members couldn't be more helpful. I'm 65 and have played a lot of the Infocom games back in the 80's and that's what got me hooked on IF. I used to own an Amiga 1200 back in them days, which is still tucked away in a draw, and wrote a Graphic Adventure Creator in Amos Basic and put out a game called 'Shipwrecked' on the public domain. My sister gave me an old PC, and I started using a 'proper' computer. I hesitated in accepting it as I thought that owning a pc was all about mindlessly clicking a mouse and staring at the monitor. Thank goodness I was wrong. Tried various BASIC compilers and dabbled with trying to write another adventure creator, and remembering all the masses of dimension arrays I'd need to be using with all the FOR-NEXT loops searching player input, and collapsed into a confused heap. Funny how stuff seems harder to remember as you get older! I started searching for an IF program that I felt really comfortable with and finally came back to Adrift V5 after going round in circles.
:yeah:
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Jin Sane » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Can't get any better than ADRIFT5, dude.
Jin Sane

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic