ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: Introducing ourselves - Share a little about yourself

Postby Lumin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm

DarylSun wrote:
A hybrid of parser and CYOA games... I think I played something like that before, but I can't remember the title. Even so, Skybreak sounds interesting! Where I can find it?

It's been entered in the IFComp along with two other ADRIFT games. (https://ifcomp.org/)

IFComp voting is open till Nov 25th btw, so you've got plenty of time still to play any of the games that look interesting to you and help judge.
Lumin

Postby MOGz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:47 am

Eek! How did I miss this topic!

I stumbled upon IF in general just doing some curiosity browsing, partly for my own sake and partly because my kid has some vague interest in computer programming and coding (not sure how serious, but I like to be aware and up to date on things). I have no programming history or any real experience with IF, parsers, or anything really save CYOA books and the Lone Wolf book serious from waaay way back, which I think counts for what IF is (though not on a computer). But it looked interesting enough to download and try it out, and I am finding the process stimulating as well as inspiring, so...well, here I am!

I should say thanks to everyone who has helped me in general on my other threads that I posted before seeing this one. It has been really nice to have experienced people giving input so far (and also thanks for the patience!).
MOGz

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:24 am

The forum can go through slow/dead periods sometimes, so it's been nice having someone interested in trying different things around livening things up.

To me one of the most attractive things about Adrift is how flexible it is. You don't need to have much experience with traditional IF at all (let alone coding) to just pick it up and start making something. And for that matter you could use it to make CYOAs and games like the Lone Wolf books just as easily as anything else if so inclined.

I hope your kid takes the same interest in it as you do, and I'm looking forward to what sort of games you come up with!
Lumin

Postby rovarsson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:47 pm

Hello,

I'm Rovarsson (or at least that's what I call myself on IF-related sites, forums,...).
Reader, hiker, IF-enthousiast.
I've been playing IF-games for about 13 years now, off and on. This time feels different though. Since I started visiting IFDB again, I replayed my first love "Worlds Apart", discovered modern oldschool gems "Risorgimento Represso" and "Illuminismo Iniziato", registered on IFDB and here, and I playtested "Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch". Quite a bit more commitment than in previous IF fases.
I'm even learning ADRIFT and making my own game (when i get a tree to fall over when I throw an apple at it and get a fallen tree and a mushed apple as a result, I jump out of my chair yelling"Wheee!". Very newbie. I'm taking it one tutorial at a time.)
I hope to learn as much as I can here, and I'll probably post some specific questions when the need arises.

Thank you for listening. Goodnight.

Rovarsson
rovarsson

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 am

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT, Rovarsson, we hope your stay will be long and fruitful. We hope there won't be too many mushed apples while you are here! :haha:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:10 am

A warm welcome from me too.
Good to see new "blood" around here. Enjoy your stay and don't be afraid to ask if have any questions.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Welcome Rovarsson! Good to see you here as well. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm

Welcome! ADRIFT is a fun system to play around with. Let us know if you have any questions, or drop by the Discord sometime.
Lumin

Postby silverball » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Long, long time ADRIFT fan here. And I'm here half to introduce myself and half to repent for my past sins.

Wayyy back in around 2002, I was a spastic teenager who thought my random monkey cheese humor was hilarious. I also found ADRIFT and the idea that I was able to write my own video games was amazing to me. Naturally this led to me subjected the poor people of this community to my offensively embarrassing attempts at "text adventures" under the moniker of The Bean Master. In fact I apparently became a bit notorious for at least a couple months for the cr*p I was putting out.

So for the record, I want to apologize for being a stupid kid and I want to really get into this community.
silverball

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:00 pm

silverball wrote:Long, long time ADRIFT fan here. And I'm here half to introduce myself and half to repent for my past sins.

Wayyy back in around 2002, I was a spastic teenager who thought my random monkey cheese humor was hilarious. I also found ADRIFT and the idea that I was able to write my own video games was amazing to me. Naturally this led to me subjected the poor people of this community to my offensively embarrassing attempts at "text adventures" under the moniker of The Bean Master. In fact I apparently became a bit notorious for at least a couple months for the cr*p I was putting out.

So for the record, I want to apologize for being a stupid kid and I want to really get into this community.

Hello,
and welcome back. No matter what your past is, it's good to see you back. You will find that there are still a few of us "old timers" still mosying around here. Not many, but a few... :wink:
Enjoy your stay.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 pm

Welcome back!

Ahh, this is a situation I'm very familiar with in other communities. Always makes me glad I wasn't posting on forums when I was 14.

Anyway, feel free to swing by the Discord sometime too.

e:

HELLO MY PHEASANTS! I am the evil (and yes, I am very evil, don't kid yourself.)B. Adguy! I have created a device that I will use to go back in time and destroy ALL OF THE TOILETS IN THE WORLD!!! HAHAHA!!!! And I will do that, if you and that bumbling fry cook called "Big Steve" don't try to stop me! Of course, since I haven't finished the entire game, you can only get as far as the parking lot. But I WILL GET FARTHER!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

wowsa
Lumin

Postby silverball » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:35 am

Lumin wrote:Welcome back!

Ahh, this is a situation I'm very familiar with in other communities. Always makes me glad I wasn't posting on forums when I was 14.

Anyway, feel free to swing by the Discord sometime too.

e:

HELLO MY PHEASANTS! I am the evil (and yes, I am very evil, don't kid yourself.)B. Adguy! I have created a device that I will use to go back in time and destroy ALL OF THE TOILETS IN THE WORLD!!! HAHAHA!!!! And I will do that, if you and that bumbling fry cook called "Big Steve" don't try to stop me! Of course, since I haven't finished the entire game, you can only get as far as the parking lot. But I WILL GET FARTHER!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

wowsa

I'm just glad all my games apparently got removed, I don't think I'd be able to go out in public again. :nerves:
silverball

Postby David Whyld » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am

I actually remember Bean Master from back in the day. I'd say 'happy memories' but no, not really :)

Thankfully I got my embarrassing teenage game phase out of the way long before discovering ADRIFT so the only people who ever played them were my brother (who has hopefully forgotten all about them) and a few friends from school (and I'll flat out deny all knowledge of it if anyone ever mentions them). They're best forgotten anyway. Most of them were full of sex stuff (because what else do teenage boys think about?), swear words ('cos it's cool to swear, right?) and were downright awful (when you're a teenage boy and you're cool, you don't have time to write good stuff).
David Whyld

Hello guy

Postby poseidon97 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 am

Hi,
I am a newbie, very happy to get acquainted with everyone, there will be some issues I do not know well or do not know how to expect people to support and help me answer questions.
Regards.
Poseidon
poseidon97

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Welcome to the forum! (Although since you were talking about v4 in another thread I suppose you're not completely new to using the actual program...)

Drop by the WIP board if you want to just chat about whatever project you're working on. And there are several people who can give technical advice around. I am uh, not one of them, but happy to give thoughts on plots and pacing and such!
Lumin

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic