ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

BUGS - Help me out of this jam I'm in, somebody

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby jinnantonix » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:19 am

Am in the process of completing this adventure (and will need Beta testers soon...) but I cannot get past this bug.

When the player tries to pick up ANY object (existent or non-existent, present or not) in ANY room, the game aborts with "Run-Time Error 28, Out of Stack". Any ideas?

Thank you kindly,

Matt Devins
jinnantonix

Postby Shadrick » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:56 am

I have this very same problem with one of my games. I know ADRIFT should be able to handle 100's of items, but it seems to have something to do with the number of items in the game. An earlier version of my game (with about ten less items) had no such error. Beyond that, I don't know how to fix it.
Shadrick

Postby davidw » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:55 am

The number of objects in a game doesn't cause this error as I wrote a game with nearly a thousand objects in and never came across it. But I once got the error with a game with relatively few objects. The strange this is, I only got the error once. It crashed the Runner but when I tried again it worked fine.

Have you overridden the "get" command in anyway? Or when you say "pick up" is that the actual command you're using? I seem to think there might be some kind of error with "pick up" in that the program reads it as two separate commands - "pick" and "up" - and crashes as a result. Does the same thing work if you just type "get"?

Edited By davidw on 1081700052
davidw

Postby Campbell » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:56 am

Could you send it to me please, and tell me what to do to get the error? Thanks.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby jinnantonix » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:37 pm

I have overridden the GET command several times, I like to customize the computer's reactions as much as possible. It just so happens that in this room there are about a DOZEN or so different interactions and possibility trees that the computer must noodle through.

I haven't actually been this excited about creative IF in a long time. Thanks for writing a wonderful program. I wrote my own code for TRS-80 a long time ago (God, I'm old) and had an adventure writer for Commodore-64, but this is much much better. THanks.

Matt Devins
jinnantonix

Return to Drifting Off-Topic