ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Alternate Room Descriptions - Hiding Objects

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:50 pm

Of course I needed some help- and as usual, I asked KF to have a look at my file. I had a couple alternate room descriptions set up, and one was dealing with a dark room.

Upon entering the room, the light is on- so you can freely examine anything in the room. When the light goes off, you get the description that the room is dark, but you can still examine everything in the room as if it was on- though I had hide objects checked.

I thought it was a bug.

Yes, we're quite aware that we can combat this with a simple task- but the question is when you hide objects in room (even if they have been seen before) should you be able to examine them?

My opinion is that even if you have been in the room a million times before, if it is dark, you should not be able to examine anything- not the walls, the floor, or the monkey hanging from the chandelier.

What do you think about it?

Edited By Mystery on 1082044810
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby davidw » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:14 pm

I agree if a room is dark you shouldn't be able to examine anything at all (except maybe the dark if you're that way inclined). Being able to examine items that you can't see is kind of silly.
davidw

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:39 pm

It is difficult because ADRIFT does not technically know about "dark" as a concept.

If you enter the room initially and it is dark you cannot examine objects as you haven't seen them.

If you enter the room, see the objects, and then the light goes out it will allow you to examine them. Then examine might mean examine by touch.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:49 pm

Heh- You see with your eyes, not your hands.

Feeling something in the dark (that sounded perverted) is much different then seeing it up close.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:54 pm

You can certainly examine with your hands.

Ask your husband tonight 8)
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:24 pm

I'm sure you're quite used to examining things with your hands. :8

You could have a hundred items on a table- lights go out, you examine the table and are able to get a VISUAL description of the table and all of the items on it.

Looking and touching are two different things. Most commonly when someone examines something, they are seeking a visual description of what an object looks like. The visual description will likely include size, shape, color. In the dark, you shouldn't be able to see anything- BECAUSE there is no light.

Look and Examine give you the same result in ADRIFT, however Feel is a completely different command.

*examples omitted*

Edited By Mystery on 1082060977
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Woodfish » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:31 pm

It would be quite useful if there were an option to have a room as being light or dark.

You could have a tab in Restrictions and Actions ('Cellar' MUST BE Dark or Change 'Cellar' to Light').

There could be a checkbox in the Room Menu.

Maybe even have a checkbox in the Object Menu, "Object can be used as Lightsource".
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:09 pm

Mystery wrote:I'm sure you're quite used to examining things with your hands. :8

Of course, I am sad single loner!
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:09 pm

Woodfish wrote:It would be quite useful if there were an option to have a room as being light or dark.

You could have a tab in Restrictions and Actions ('Cellar' MUST BE Dark or Change 'Cellar' to Light').

There could be a checkbox in the Room Menu.

Maybe even have a checkbox in the Object Menu, "Object can be used as Lightsource".

I thought that was what the hide objects checkbox was for. But evidently it only hides objects that haven't been seen already. (unless it is a bug- and I'm not so sure it is)

My thinking is that hide means out of sight- not there-gone- you can't examine it, you can't see it, feel it, take it, or read it.
~Myst~
Mystery

Return to Drifting Off-Topic