ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Multiple locked doors

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Splink07 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:34 pm

Maybe a door fanatic can help me out... :P

I have several locked doors with identical object names with different tags. Most of them are locked, and can be locked with Key "A". When I have Key "A" and try to:

Unlock door: it says I cant do that. When I try:

Lock Door: it says the same thing.

When I look at the door it says it is locked. I am confused :P
Splink07

Postby Splink07 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:01 am

Another thing, it is locking and unlocking the doors, but I am still recieving those messages stating that I cant do it...
Splink07

Postby davidw » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:29 am

I have a feeling you might have to type "unlock door with key a" to get it to work. Same for locking them.
davidw

Postby Tech » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Splink07 wrote:I have several locked doors with identical object names with different tags.

What do you mean "different tags"? Last night, I started with a fresh Taf, added four locked doors with identical names and a key. Of course, this setup didn't work because door name resolution couldn't be done. So I added different color adjectives to each door. I.e. the purple "door", the green "door", etc. This setup worked perfectly in all cases.

I have a feeling it is the method in which you are defining your doors in the taf file.
Unlock the *smacking* thread!
Killer Speedy Bees Hum the Hymn of IF Salvation - ADRIFT.
Peaceful Pokey Bees Scream the Chords of Natural Langage IF.
Tech

Postby Splink07 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:20 pm

I tried what you said DavidW and it did not work. :( I now have 6 multiple doors with same object name and they now all work, Open, Close, Unlock and Locked. I set up 4 tasks for each door to do this though :P... I must be crazy I guess, but once you duplicate the task its just punching in the numbers for every other door.
Splink07

Postby davidw » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:37 pm

I see what you're doing now. You're using tasks to handle the doors opening and closing but it doesn't look like you've set the attributes in the objects section.

Try this:

1. Create an object called "east door key".

2. Create an object called "east door". Go to the attributes section and put a tick in the box which says "object can be opened and closed and starts off" then in the box below it reading "and is lockable with item" put the east door key.

3. Try it and you'll find it works. Hopefully anyway.

If you use the above method, you won't need tasks to open and close the doors. The program will handle it for you.
davidw

Postby Splink07 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:53 pm

I did that at first, but even with the right key it said you can't unlock that or you can't lock that. The Attributes were set right for the doors. Could this be because they are all the same object names? If so I want them to be named the same, so I guess I'll just keep making doors with 4 tasks...
Splink07

Return to Drifting Off-Topic