ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Object Tagging

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Splink07 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:48 am

Is there a way to tag objects of the same name? So I can keep track of what they are for. I know for rooms I can use <> but with objects it doesnt seem to work. I need HELP! :P
Splink07

Postby NObodyNOWHERE » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:53 am

I don't think you have the option to do what it is that you're asking, but it shouldn't be a big deal depending on the type of objects you're using and how you're planning on using them. If they are dynamic objects you REALLY should pick a different prefix for them or you may run into horrible disambiguation problems. With static objects you may just be able to recycle the same object in different rooms, provided it is just there for window dressing and isn't something that needs to be implemented more fully or carefully.

It just struck me that it may also be possible to use the ALR to do something like what you're asking, though it would possibly be a pain and could lead to nasty bugs. (probably more trouble than it's worth, but...since you asked) You could give every item of the same type a unique name (make sure it's not something that would ever com up in the game otherwise), but then use the same names in the aliases section. Then you would replace the unique names with the common alias in the ALR.

Probably just best to deal with the slight inconvenience of having to pick through the objects repeatedly...

Oh well... Hope this ramble was the least bit helpful.

Edited By NObodyNOWHERE on 1088052929
NObodyNOWHERE

The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak. - Nietzsche

My lame blog: http://n0bodyn0where.blogspot.com/
NObodyNOWHERE

Postby Splink07 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:28 am

Thanks for the help... I decided to just use different prefixs for dynamic objects. Well I've at least override the combat system now so your skill in a certain types of weapon is what counts not accuracy and agility. Also implemented a critical hit and miss into the game...Things are looking good.
Splink07

Return to Drifting Off-Topic