ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Code a game in a text editor?

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Marno » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:08 pm

It sure looks like one great way to write a game in ADRIFT would be to do it in a text editor, as an amf file, and then import it into the Generator as a taf game file. At least for me, it might save a lot of headaches of Error 9 subscript out of range like I just got again (and fixed).

Has anyone done this? Is there any how-to info?

Mike
-- Mike

If a thing is worth living for, it ought to be worth dying for.
Marno

Postby Mystery » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:01 pm

I've dabbled a little with it (and I do mean a little). I think it was back with release 40 or 42. I did exported a portion of a game in progress, then manually copied the code in a text editor and imported it into a blank file. It worked pefectly until I started switching the order of information- meaning if the introduction was at the end of the file, I moved it to the beginning of the file and tried reimporting. It's been so long ago, but I do remember getting parse errors left and right and it just didn't work properly.

I tried doing the same thing just now, and it appeared to work just fine (though I didn't go and check actions, restrictions and all of that). I haven't the slightest idea how variables and alr would with doing it like this.

Guess you can give it a try and let the rest of us know. ;/
I enjoyed doing it by hand (boy that sounded wrong(:) ), but it does take a little getting used to- and you can do it just about anywhere.

You can scratch out code on a notpad quite easily just about anywhere, I mean.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby davidw » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:30 am

I thought about this use but gave up with the idea because it goes against the reason why I use Adrift in the first place: its ease of use.

If I was going to code everything in a text editor instead of using the simple and straightforward GUI, I might as well just use Tads or Inform.

It also struck me as a tremendous hassle having to remember which was object 1 and which was character 1 and location 1. I think I'd be climbing the wall long before I got anything worthwhile done.
davidw

Postby Cannibal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:58 am

Agreed.

I was very tempted a while back to code a game in this way but I did anticipate it being fraught with issues. The only reason for going down this road was that an open work of notepad on my work PC draws far less attention than an open session of the Adrift generator.

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby davidw » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:08 am

That's an issue for me as well. I can sit and work in a Word document easily enough but the Adrift Generator is just too easy for someone to spot as they walk past.

Not to mention the fact that the IT department regularly scan people's machines to see if they've been installing software they shouldn't have.
davidw

Postby Cannibal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:47 am

It's very annoying how work gets in the way in the workplace...

:) :p

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:42 pm

You could presumably draft out the text in an editor (with notes) then cut and paste into ADRIFT. This work thing does waste so much 'drifting time.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby 30otsix » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:56 pm

I've been doing something like this for a while. I first write the skeleton of the adventure in the GUI then export it as an AMF and edit it in IF Builder. I wrote an AMF extension for IFBuilder so that it would be easier to read. It's available on my site.

I have lame ass opinions.
30otsix

Postby davidw » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:58 pm

30otsix wrote:I've been doing something like this for a while. I first write the skeleton of the adventure in the GUI then export it as an AMF and edit it in IF Builder. I wrote an AMF extension for IFBuilder so that it would be easier to read. It's available on my site.

I do pretty much the opposite. Type it in a Word document then copy and paste into the Generator at a later stage.
davidw

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:02 pm

davidw wrote:That's an issue for me as well. I can sit and work in a Word document easily enough but the Adrift Generator is just too easy for someone to spot as they walk past.

Not to mention the fact that the IT department regularly scan people's machines to see if they've been installing software they shouldn't have.

Heh heh. Perhaps I should add a 'panic' button. You used to get those in old dos games that would instantly change the screen to a spreadsheet or something!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby davidw » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:07 pm

Or maybe a redesigned Generator that looks suspiciously like a Word document.
davidw

Postby J. J. Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:43 pm

davidw wrote:Or maybe a redesigned Generator that looks suspiciously like a Word document.

While you're at it, can you redesign the forum so that it looks like Adobe After Effects?
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Return to Drifting Off-Topic