ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Pirates! - Arr! There be an off-topic thread ahead!

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Hehe, I don't usually hang out in off-topic forums much, but since it's allowed now I figured I might as well be the first to take advantage of it. :)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone besides Mystery and myself are fans of Puzzle Pirates. If not, you should really give the free demo a try...just warning you it's incredibly addictive. (So Davidw is not allowed to download it, he has to make Adrift games for the rest of his life instead...)

I thought I'd bring it up because I finally decided to subscribe (for 90 days at least) and it'd be nice to have some people I already know to crew with when I make captain, even if ye are a worthless flock of greenies. :p (That's okay, I can always use somebody to pump bilge...)

P.S. Mystery, have you been reading on the forums about Cobalt? That's really the main reason I decided to go ahead and subscribe; they're going to be releasing a new ocean sometime this week on a different server, which means everyone there will be a new characters and we'll all be on equal footing.
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:49 pm

I haven't been to the forums there yet- can't seem to pull myself away from battle. I'll probably end up doing a years subscription in the next week or so. It definitely is extremely addicting. Having dreams about sailing and mucking it up. What name do you go by on there? Mystery was taken, so I'm using Mystree, and am based on Turtle Island and am crew of the Nightwalkers.

Ooops, forgot to post a link for those interested.

Puzzle Pirates

Edited By Mystery on 1107183030
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm going by Anli, but on the new ocean I'll be Havasa. (Both pirate characters from my stories...it beats having to come up with a new name.) I don't have a crew yet, I've just been jobbing on Navy ships to build up my skills and get poe for some fancier duds than my 'castaway' outfit and mismatched bandanna. :)

But for the last couple of days I've forcing myself not to play and to get some work around the house done instead. But once I subscribe tomorrow I'll allow myself to go crazy and obsess on it for weeks to the exclusion of all else. (*sigh* Guess that game isn't going to get made after all...)
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:48 pm

LOL, I be needed to swab the deck myself.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:24 pm

Lumin wrote:(So Davidw is not allowed to download it, he has to make Adrift games for the rest of his life instead...)

Well, shiver me timbers if that ain't an insult! To the plank wi' ye, Lumin, ye'll be feedin' the fishies by e'ening!

:p
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:45 pm

I work on computers, spend a large part of my limited spare time on computers and now you are suggesting something that is incredibly addictive! :0
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 pm

Well, I've subscribed.

Now my one goal in life is to save up enough pieces of eight to buy some red pants. :)
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:11 pm

I've got o'er 9,000 poe, if ye be needed some.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Lumin, do you have a link to the thread about Cobalt? I haven't found it yet, so it probably means it be right under me nose.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Well, I first heard of it in the "Starting a new ocean..." thread in the Game Design secton. http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=15051

And 9000 poe? Wow, you're doing better than me. :) I've only got a few thousand spread out over a handful of islands, but I've only started pillaging in earnest pretty recently; before that I was practicing a lot on Navy ships.

Actually, I probably could afford some clothes right now, but I'm currently jobbing from Oyster Island and trying to build up my bank account from there. (don't want to waste the poe transfering)
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:53 pm

:8 Those bank transfers cost a fortune! I changed crew to Loyal to None. You really do earn a lot more pillaging than on the Navy ships. :p Hit a ship for over 10,000 poe yesterday. Made for a nice booty. (hehe)
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lumin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:26 pm

You really do earn a lot more pillaging than on the Navy ships.

LOL, tell me about it. I'm lucky to get even 30 poe from them, while I can get 300+ from even very short pillaging trips. But if I can't stay on very long or I know I'll probably be interrupted I still like to use the Navy ships just as a place to relax and puzzle without worrying about what would happen if the phone rang in the middle of a battle. :)

Supposedly the bank transfers cost so much because the designers want people to have to risk their money by shipping it or something. I was originally trying to keep everything on my home island, but was told it's actually a good idea to have it split up over several, since prices vary so much from one island to the next and you could wind up missing a good deal or being ripped off if you're not willing to shop around.
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:01 pm

But if I can't stay on very long or I know I'll probably be interrupted I still like to use the Navy ships just as a place to relax and puzzle without worrying about what would happen if the phone rang in the middle of a battle. :)

I've lost my booty many times cause the darn phone rang. Might have to upgrade to cable and give dialup the boot. I heard you can get cheap clothing somewhere's on Spring Island. (lol, shopping tips! How girly!) and someone is supposed to be having a moving sale on XI- so they're letting go of swords at a discounted price- I thought I heard the stores name was Heph's or something like that.

Edited By Mystery on 1107360161
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby KFAdrift » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:52 pm

What's with all this piratical nonsense!
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:18 pm

It be swashbucklin' fun, KF. Should give it a try. You be wantin' to start on the Navy ship's though, tis pretty tame there.
~Myst~
Mystery

Next

Return to Drifting Off-Topic