ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Pirates! - Arr! There be an off-topic thread ahead!

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby KFAdrift » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:33 pm

Get your butt back at that mouse and get to work on your game (said by someone who really ought to open ADRIFT again some time)
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:13 pm

Hey steady on there, speedy. You wrote a game in 2003, another in 2004. No need to rush yourself.
David Whyld

Postby KFAdrift » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:26 pm

Ah, but I have started another game today.
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:49 pm

You started a game? :0 So, what's it going to be about? And when can I expect to be able download it? :)

P.S. Love the new avatar!
Lumin

Postby KFAdrift » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:52 pm

That old game that I abandoned do you mean?
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:27 pm

LOL, how many games have you started, anyway? Half a million? (In that case you better start a few more, I'm starting to catch up to you...)

And just so we're back on the original topic, how about writing a game about pirates? I've actually been considering it, but I can't think of any decent puzzles so I'm stuck. :(
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:39 pm

I've been working on a pirate game on and off for the past year or so and keep starting over. I'm considering giving it another go after I finish The Devil and the Three Golden Hairs (based on a Grimm Brothers fairytale.) I've researched pirates to no end and have mapped out Port Royal as it used to be back in the day, before the big earthquake that plunged part of it into the ocean. Playing pirates has given me a bunch of new ideas for puzzles as well as playing Pirates Gold. (I think I have a pirate fetish) I kind of keep holding off on it because of some of the bugs that will make it difficult to program some things, but just might start planning on it again. I really wanted it to include graphics and sound, but it is ton of work and you have to stay consistant, which isn't always an easy thing to do.

My free trial ended yesterday so will have to suffer through it until next week. (And KF HAS started a bazillion games!)
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm married to Mary Reed which is close enough to pirates for me!

As for KF -- think Introcomp.
Eric
Web Site | Blog
Eric

Postby David Whyld » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:18 pm

I started writing a game about a pirate a while ago but I never really got anywhere with it.
David Whyld

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:45 pm

It's been a huge struggle, even though I thought I had everything well planned out, and did and still do vast amounts of research. There are just so many things to consider. Do you write it comicly, or want to portray an accurate account of the times, including the immoral lifestyles, extreme violence, sexual situations, and include issues of slavery that was all present during the times. The latter is what I had hoped to accomplish, and have started the game several times.

There is also the issue of what sex will the player be. A male PC would be the easiest, but a female could be more intriguing, in my honest opinion, but would require a great deal more detail and programming for those extra bits that separate the sexes.

Another challenge is which perspective would do it the greatest justice? I suppose that is a question every author asks themselves before they begin, thought the most common perspective is second person- and if you are used to writing in SP, then switching over to first person can royally screw you up, and you'll find yourself switching perspectives often without even realizing it.

I think I might try noveling it out before hand, as an experiment, to see what comes of it. I was thinking I would write two diaries, one from the female POV and another from a male POV, and see what comes of it- then maybe go on from there.

I also have stalled at how to begin. At one point I wrote the first section of the game, which even made it to beta-testing, but really wasn't happy with it as it had some far fetched things in there, and really wasn't as violent and 'real' as I wanted it to be. I've written several intros from that point, as well as started it over several times- each time a little closer to what I wanted, but not quite right. My last attempt included an interactive intro battling on a ship, which a couple of drifters have seen already. Though I think I did that pretty well, including the audio, I still am not satisfied with the overall story.

lol, this is the game that might not ever make it to see the light of day, but the only one that I want to do more than anything else.

I almost think it'd be easier to get together with other pirating fans to collaborate, so to speak, and just discuss the overall issues of doing a project like this, and the scale it would be done on. I'm not talking about a little 40kb game, but something massive.

Ack, the torment this thing has brought me.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:08 pm

I think I decided that I didn't feel like tackling that age old problem of doing the directions on a ship.
KF
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Well, how many directions can there be?

Fore
Aft
Starboard
Larboard
Up
Down
climb rigging
Walk Plank
Eric
Web Site | Blog
Eric

Postby Lumin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:50 pm

What's wrong with good old-fashioned compass directions? Sheesh, next thing we know KF will be talking about deconstructing room paradigms. :p

Mystery, wow. Just, wow. Talk about ambitious! I would absolutely love to play that game, but it sounds to me like you've got your life's work cut out for you. :D

Personally, I like reading historical fiction, but I'd never try to write it, because I know that no matter how much research I do at least half of everything I write will be horribly inaccurate anyway and somebody will call me down on it. Realism's too hard; if I write a pirate game I'm going to cop out and make it completely campy, bust out with every stereotype I can think of, and maybe throw in some sea monsters for good measure. :)
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:13 pm

lol, that is how my first run started. Had a giant scorpian and an giant acid spitting toad. I wanted to capture the seedy underbelly of the pirating life rather than go something like Monkey Island or Pirates of the Caribbean, though I imagine it'd be very hard not to stereotype a good portion of it. This is where good research pays off, especially when dealing with the historical facts that can be traced- though you really have to sift through a lot of BS to get to the nitty gritty. I just can't decide where it should start. I did create an outline, in general, of what I wanted to accomplish, but the ideas just keep morphing and I just can't get focused.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:26 am

While we're on the subject, have you ever played Tropico 2? It's a strategy/city simulator game where you play a pirate king and manage a Caribbean island. Most of it's pretty silly, but it's kind of semi-educational in that you can recruit real historical pirates; some of them had pretty interesting bios, especially the women.
Lumin

PreviousNext

Return to Drifting Off-Topic