ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

"Floor" as an object

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Postby Splink07 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:17 am

I hope somebody can help me out and find a solution to my problem...

I have one[U] object named "Floor" but have it in all of the rooms. If the player types "put %object% down on the floor" the %object% will be moved onto the floor (Floor object has a surface). The problem is though if you go into any of the other rooms and look at the floor, that %object% is on it. I'd like to seperate what is put down on the "floor" for each room. Do I really need to make a different "floor" object for each room to fix this problem? Or is there another way of doing this?

Thanks
Splink07

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:47 am

Problem is, if the player drops an object, that won't go on the floor, it will be in the room. Might be easier to use a task to cover putting an object on the floor and instead moving it to in the room.

I think most people, in a game situation, merely view the floor as the surface on which the game occurs. In your game are all of the static objects defined as on the floor?
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby NObodyNOWHERE » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:53 pm

The other problem is that any object you put on the floor will not show in the room description. The only way you would see the object after that would be if you examined the floor.

To be safe, never give a static object called "floor" or "ground" a surface to place objects on. Also, don't make it possible to sit, stand, or recline on it. You can create all sorts of problems when you allow that. Most people won't specifically try to put %object% on the floor, they will just assume that drop %object% will have the same effect, but there are certain circumstances where that might be a possibility. In those cases I would use tasks to handle any descriptions and special actions, just to prevent any screwy behavior during gameplay.
NObodyNOWHERE

The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak. - Nietzsche

My lame blog: http://n0bodyn0where.blogspot.com/
NObodyNOWHERE

Postby Splink07 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:05 pm

thanks for the replies, I'll just uncheck some attributes in the "floor" object, and force them just to "put down" or "drop".

Got another question though is it possible to add variables to the system command "i" or inventory? If not, I have another idea of how to get around it.
Splink07

Postby NObodyNOWHERE » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 am

Splink07 wrote:Got another question though is it possible to add variables to the system command "i" or inventory? If not, I have another idea of how to get around it.

Not that I'm aware of. There may be an easy workaround though. What are you trying to do?
NObodyNOWHERE

The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak. - Nietzsche

My lame blog: http://n0bodyn0where.blogspot.com/
NObodyNOWHERE

Postby Splink07 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:04 am

Since I can't make multiple objects of the same name, i have an object that just has a variable for the quantity. The only thing is i dont want the player to be able to carry all of them at once because the weight and size of too many of them. What i did right now was just set up tasks and events to drag the box of all of the items around to each room. When you leave the box the object will just stay in the current room until it is dragged again. It worked out but i still wish i could get into the "I" system command to add variables.
Splink07

Return to Drifting Off-Topic