ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

911 Question

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

Re: 911 Question

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 am

jankupila wrote:One day my phone rang. I answered to the phone. There was young girl who said: I am from emergency service. There have been many calls to us from this number and no-one have spoken any world in these calls. Do you have an emergency? My phone had rung many calls itself because it was in my back pocket. I just said I'm sorry and ended the call. After that I have never put my phone to back pocket.

I believe the technical term for that is 'butt-dialing'. It happens more often than you'd think. Through the joy of time zones, on various occasions I've gotten to listen in to my aunt and uncle have exciting conversations about buying groceries or whether they should call a plumber or not...at 4am my time on a work night. :x

I also remember hearing a news story somewhere about some idiot teenager who accidentally dialed 911 in this way and then proceeded to have a conversation with his idiot friends about some shoplifting they'd just done. They were tracked down and arrested. 8)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: 911 Question

Postby jankupila » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 pm

In Finland it's called 'pocket call'.
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Previous

Return to Drifting Off-Topic