ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How Unlucky

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

How Unlucky

Postby Samkid882 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, my desktop computer just decided to die on me yesterday, so I'm using my laptop... I've had that computer for 6 years and it had a lot of good memories. R.I.P My Computer :(
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Re: How Unlucky

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Rotten luck, old chap.
I hope you had your important files saved. At least you have your laptop.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat May 19, 2012 6:01 pm

If the hard drives themselves weren't damaged, you can remove them from the old computer, put them in an external adapter, and attach them to the laptop.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby rotter » Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 am

ralphmerridew wrote:If the hard drives themselves weren't damaged, you can remove them from the old computer, put them in an external adapter, and attach them to the laptop.

ralphmerridew is spot on, this technique has saved my data on many a dead PC (because obviously I backup everything regularly :blush: )
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 am

rotter wrote:ralphmerridew is spot on, this technique has saved my data on many a dead PC (because obviously I backup everything regularly :blush: )

Real men do not make backups, but they tend to cry a lot :P
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Samkid882 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Actually, the computer was old. Lots of errors, bugs, and incompatibilities with new programs or games, not to mentions low ram and memory, getting a new computer might be a better solution. I see a brand spanking new computer on Amazon for only $300! Windows 7 compatable (which my other computer was not), and has more memory and ram, as well as the fact that it can play those high end games like GTA4 and Cyrisis 2... sadly, not Skyrim :( On the other hand, no need to get any of those listed games as I already have them for my PS3 (Except for C2, which is for my Xbox360 :))
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Return to Drifting Off-Topic