ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

New Side-Project

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.

New Side-Project

Postby Samkid882 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:47 pm

First off, I just want to announce that Authenticity Undefined has been renamed to Hero.
Anyway, I'm currently creating a new game, but not an ADRIFT game, a Visual Basic game!
It's called Act of Survival, and is being made in Visual Basic 2010 Express (Console Application)
This is not an Interactive Fiction game, hence why it's not in the General index tab.
I honestly don't know what genre the game is...
I, of course did not make it up, I've played games like that before, but for now, we'll call this unknown genre a "Survival Simulation".

It is not a roguelike, but I've always wanted to make a roguelike in VB, but I have no idea how to get started! If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated!

So far the project is going very smoothly...

So far I've managed to get user input for the name of the player, and the first difficultly selection screen (how much supplies you start with), like so:
1.) Insane
2.) Abundant
3.) Normal
4.) Scarce
5.) None

This is a rather basic project, but it's a start, and like I said before, if anyone knows how to make roguelikes in VB, please tell me at least how to make the @ character move around!

Following the advice of others, the game will not be posted until it is in it's Beta stage (meaning it is currently playable, but has some bugs). It is currently in it's Alpha stage.

I hope I don't scrap this one, as I really like the idea...

Before you stop reading, I also want to let you know that the map of the area, however, is similar to the map of a roguelike game.

Here's what it looks like so far:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those ^ signs are trees.

Later on, when you build your shelter and a fire, the map would look like this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^@#^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The @ symbol is your shelter and the # symbol is your fire.

The more you expand on your shelter, the map will look more like this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^@@^^^^^
^^^^@@#^^^^
^^^^@@^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^

And so on and so forth.

Stay tuned for more news! :)
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Re: New Side-Project

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri May 25, 2012 9:22 pm

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~paulkp/articles/rlcrash.htm

Executive summary: If you're not already a very proficient programmer, hone your skills elsewhere first.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Samkid882 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:37 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:http://koti.mbnet.fi/~paulkp/articles/rlcrash.htm

Executive summary: If you're not already a very proficient programmer, hone your skills elsewhere first.

Thanks for the link.
I mean, It's not VB, but I guess learning a new language CAN be useful...
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 pm

UPDATE: Just added the option to have a gun when you first start the game. The guns range from handguns to combat rifles.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:49 am

UPDATE: Just added the feature to also add your last name in the game.
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

NOTE: The game is no longer a VB Express Edition game, it is now a Visual Studio Ultimate game! This sadly meant that I had to start over, but the game MUST GO ON!!!

EDIT: It's still written in Basic, it's just written in a different application :wink:
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby P/o Prune » Sat May 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Tyler, I don't know if you're trying to be the guy with the most posts in the forum. But If you are, I'd be happy to ask Campbell to add a few million posts to your credit. :wink:
It's good that you are happy about your project, but rather than fill up the thread with hundreds of posts, may I suggest that you make one weekly update letting people know what you've accomplished.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Sure thing, Po. Prune! One update every week is a good idea!
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Or alternatively stop posting this drivel on the forum in the first place. No one cares about your Visual Basic game and we all know you won't finish it, just like you didn't finish any of the half a dozen other projects you've posted about.

I wasn't joking when I threatened to ban you.
David Whyld

Postby Samkid882 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:31 pm

David, how am I supposed to take you seriously when you keep threatening to ban me whenever I make a post, whatever the post is...
If you aren't going to help me then please leave me alone!
I'm Batman
Samkid882

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 26, 2012 4:51 pm

There's a huge difference between making a post and spamming this kind of trash over and over again. Do you see anyone else doing it? Do you see other people starting a new project, telling the entire forum about it, then abandoning it the next day only to immediately start another new project a few hours later? No, you don't. Do you know why? Because projects which are never going to get finished are of zero interest to anyone.

Someone in another thread suggested you get a blog and post your cra- ideas there. That way, you get to post whatever you like and the people who don't care about it don't have to see it here every day.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sat May 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Samkid882 wrote:David, how am I supposed to take you seriously when you keep threatening to ban me whenever I make a post, whatever the post is...
If you aren't going to help me then please leave me alone!

Why don't you leave US alone? You just don't seem to get the message that we are not interested in your projects or your tutorials. It is not just David that is sick of this drivel you keep posting. Some of us have tried to help you and given you advice, but you totally ignore it. If you want to program a game in VB or whatever, if you are not using ADRIFT then you should find a forum which might just have some like-minded people on it who WILL be interested in your projects.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to Drifting Off-Topic