A Dark Room

Want to just chat amongst yourselves? Then this is the place when IF and ADRIFT are not the topic. Please keep your posts family friendly.
Lumin

A Dark Room

Post by Lumin »

http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

I've been seeing the link for this getting passed around in other places and after deciding to briefly check it out I was glued to playing for like two hours straight.

It's not IF, but a really (deceptively) simple text-based game you play in your browser. There is some resource management involved and then it becomes something else entirely...kind of hesitant to elaborate further because of spoilers. I'll just say that more is going on than meets the eye, and I love the fact that the game never straight out tells you that fact but until the end just drops hints for you to figure it out for yourself.

Definitely something everyone should check out if you have a little free time.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: A Dark Room

Post by Campbell »

How far have you got?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Quite catching...
I notice that it says Saved once in a while.. but I can't find where the game is saved.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 81Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

I've gotten to the end; nice game.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I beat it late last night, but it sounds like Ralph got through it fast. I'm curious at what point you figured out the twist but I guess that would be major spoilers for anyone who hasn't played yet...

Let me know if you guys need any tips or anything. (One big thing I didn't realize at first is that your wanderer can hold several weapons at once, though not of the same kind...also once you get your 'economy' going just let the game idle in the background a half hour or so while your people build up supplies.)

And Finn, it doesn't save a file to your computer or anything, it just uses the cookies in your browser somehow. (I think.) Either way it should start you off right where you left off last time whenever you go back to the site.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lumin wrote:And Finn, it doesn't save a file to your computer or anything, it just uses the cookies in your browser somehow. (I think.) Either way it should start you off right where you left off last time whenever you go back to the site.
Well, looks as if I have to start all over again then. I started playing on the computer at work and there I only have limited time. So I'll have to start over again at home...
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

Spoiler
One thing I do find annoying is that when you're in a fight, you're so used to clicking on buttons that I keep on accidentally clicking on the [Leave] button once I've killed a creature. Arrgh!
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

A question:
Spoiler
Is there any advantage in carrying more than one of the same weapon? E.g. does the reset time go down faster, or does it count towards a better hit point?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Is there a trick to gather more fur?
I keep loosing mine...
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

Move your mouse over a resource and you'll see what the income / outgo on that resource is.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Campbell wrote:A question:
Spoiler
Is there any advantage in carrying more than one of the same weapon? E.g. does the reset time go down faster, or does it count towards a better hit point?
Not that I can figure out, all it seems to do is take up inventory space that could be filled with food instead. Though it's good to keep spares back at the base so you can instantly replace anything lost if your wanderer dies.
Is there a trick to gather more fur?
I keep loosing mine...
Occasionally you get a random event that gives you a chance to get a lot more all at once, but the most reliable way is to set all your population to hunting and then just walk away from the computer for half an hour. Good strategy for anything you need in bulk, really. (I'm assuming you've already maxed out your possible population and have 10 traps?...if not, do that first before you worry about anything else.)

And a minor spoiler maybe, but just fyi, pretty much anything really important you need you'll eventually be able to produce yourself.
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

OK fellow Drifters, how many of us have gotten totally addicted to this game??? I certainly have!

Hands up who is playing it! Come on, 'fess up! :haha:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Question: Occasionally a traveller turns up wanting lodgings for the night, and I think that he/she would give us something useful in return. However, if the village is maxed out how can we free up a space for the traveller to sleep?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Lazzah wrote:OK fellow Drifters, how many of us have gotten totally addicted to this game??? I certainly have!

Hands up who is playing it! Come on, 'fess up! :haha:
I have... so count me in :haha:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Lazzah wrote:Question: Occasionally a traveller turns up wanting lodgings for the night, and I think that he/she would give us something useful in return. However, if the village is maxed out how can we free up a space for the traveller to sleep?
Huh, I never ran into that problem, but I can't remember for sure if I ever had one show up after the village was maxed out. Are you absolutely sure you have all the other items he needs? (torch and furs and...maybe cured meat? Can't remember exactly but it tells you when you hover over the option)