ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IFComp 2017 Games Announced

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: IFComp 2017 Games Announced

Postby Lumin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:54 pm

I reinstalled the v4 generator while my friend was using it and...oh my goodness, it's so simple and clean. I hadn't realized how much I missed it. If I ever do just sit down one day and go 'screw it, I am writing a game and I'm writing it NOW' I probably will just use 4. I love what 5 can do in theory but I don't like to lose momentum fiddling around. I7 just increases that problem tenfold. The only thing I've ever done with I7 is test out how to do very simple and basic things that take about two seconds and no need to touch a manual with ADRIFT.

Forget spending 90% of my writing time trying to figure out how to make things work, if I ever start a new IF game I'm throwing all the text down into Scrivener and then just copy and pasting it all over at once and stapling some tasks on. Boom, a game. Done.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Oh yes, I should have said it was v4 I was talking about, not v5. As much as I've tried to get my head around v5 over the years, the simple truth is that I just don't like it. It's not that it's hard as such, just very, very long winded and time consuming. All the bells and whistles it comes with mean that things take longer than they did in v4 and, like I said, I'm impatient. I could write an identical game in both systems and the v4 one would be done and dusted while the v5 game was still in the early stages.

And, of course, you have the problem that if you write a game with v5, you have to play it with the v5 Runner because nothing else works. And I can't stand the v5 Runner. After all these years, it's still way behind the v4 one in many respects. A v4 game can be played with the v4 Runner - which in my opinion is a much better Runner - or Gargoyle (or even the v5 Runner if you feel like it). It can't be played online, which for some people is a real problem, but as I generally avoid online play whenever possible, it's just fine for me.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 am

Wow! I just got my winnings for my IFComp entry, cash is always welcome at this time of year.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Denk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:01 am

rotter wrote:Wow! I just got my winnings for my IFComp entry, cash is always welcome at this time of year.
A belated congratulations Rotter! I must say you did really well, especially considering the high number of participants (can't say the same for my game, but I guess we all have to start somewhere ;) )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Denk wrote:
rotter wrote:Wow! I just got my winnings for my IFComp entry, cash is always welcome at this time of year.
A belated congratulations Rotter! I must say you did really well, especially considering the high number of participants (can't say the same for my game, but I guess we all have to start somewhere ;) )

Well done back, sure you will do better next time. The great thing about entering a game into the IFComp is that loads of people play and vote.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Previous

Return to Competitions