ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Annual IF Comp 2018

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Annual IF Comp 2018

Postby Lumin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm

P/o Prune wrote::claps: Just letting you all know that I have just submitted my entry to the Annual IFComp 2018 … :D

Awesome, congrats! Maybe I'll actually vote this year, it's been awhile.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Annual IF Comp 2018

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Denk wrote:To my knowledge, the only alternative to the official ADRIFT 5 runner is currently Fabularium for Android. It still has a few bugs in it, but I think they will soon be fixed. Other programs produce blorb-files, e.g. Inform, though they are usually called zblorb or gblorb, but blorb is also allowed. Such blorb-files can be played by e.g. Gargoyle, but Gargoyle cannot play blorb-files generated by ADRIFT. :cry: Gargoyle does play ADRIFT 4 games though.

Lumin wrote:This all seems so ridiculously convoluted for 2018, it makes me sad.

Blorb is just a container format (similar to a .zip file, in that it stores a number of files in one place, although blorb doesn't do any compression).
So think of a .zblorb as essentially being a zip file that happens to contain a .z8 file and some image and/or audio files.

And any problems are solely Campbell's fault. There was a lot of effort put into specifying the Zmachine and Glulx; Campbell has long blown off similar efforts at specifying ADRIFT. When he was doing the full redesign of ADRIFT 5 would have been a good time to do that, but he squandered the opportunity.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Previous

Return to Competitions