ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Entry for Annual IF Comp 2019

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Entry for Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:24 am

Hi all,

Well, The Call of the Shaman has now been playtested sufficiently and I have made the official entry, although I haven't uploaded the game file yet. Now to type out a hint sheet. Should I type it normally or should I encode it? What do my fellow Drifters think? Answers on a postcard, please! :haha:
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Re: Entry for Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby Denk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:21 am

I think the only reason to encode it, which is a good reason, is that the player might read the wrong hint by accident if it isn't encoded.

So if you encode it, it should be very easy to decode. I have used https://www.rot13.com/ in the past. Rot13 can both encode and decode a message and you can provide the link to http://www.rot13.com in the top of the hint sheet. The player can simply copy-paste the chosen hint into the text field. Then the decoded hint can be read.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rotter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 am

My vote is for type it normally.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am

rotter wrote:My vote is for type it normally.

I would go for that solution too.
This is an entry for a competition where the judges are only playing for a certain amount of time. If they have to decode every time they get stuck it is my guess that they will get irritated and drop the game prematurely (which is a shame)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 58Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:17 am

Encoded hints always annoy me because of the hassle of decoding each and every one of them. Sure, if it's not coded you might look at the wrong hint by mistake, but I still prefer that to the hassle of decoding them.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:26 pm

You could set up a system like http://meadstelzer.com/daniel/if/invisi ... thief.html

I'd be willing to help you set one up, if you need the help.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your input. I know from my own experience of hint sheets in the past that if it isn't encoded than you just cannot help seeing the answers to puzzles that you haven't reached yet, and this has spoilt the game for me. Therefore I have encoded the answers to the hints with a very simple code, all you have to do is jump one letter forward (i.e. Z = A, K = l, etc.) If the player uses ROT13 I tell them to set it to ROT25.
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Return to Competitions