ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Images In Games Entered In Competitions

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Images In Games Entered In Competitions

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 pm

I use images downloaded off the internet as cover art for my games. Until today I didn't really give any thought to the fact that these images may actually be copyrighted, after all I am not selling my games, they are freely available on the public domain.

Last night I got an email from one of the IF competition organizers who informed me that the cover art image I had used for my game The Call of the Shaman, which I have entered in the competition, was in fact copyrighted and that if I didn't have permission to use it, and did not acknowledge that in the game, I would be disqualified!

I was horrified by this, as I (TBQH) hadn't taken too much notice of the rules of the competition. So, to make life easier I just amended the game file to delete the image, as well as the other two images in the game. I have now submitted the amended game to the competition website.

So, if you are submitting a game into any competition, make sure that you have permission to use any images that are in your game.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Images In Games Entered In Competitions

Postby Lumin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Sounds like you also could have just said you don't have permission and will take it down if the author asks. Although getting permission or just using something public domain is of course ideal.

I hadn't been aware of that coming up as an issue before, is it even mentioned in the rules? Although it's been awhile since I looked them over.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am

Lumin wrote:Sounds like you also could have just said you don't have permission and will take it down if the author asks. Although getting permission or just using something public domain is of course ideal.

I hadn't been aware of that coming up as an issue before, is it even mentioned in the rules? Although it's been awhile since I looked them over.

It is mentioned in the rules. I doubt very much that the IF Comp organizers will allow the, otherwise great solution" you mention. They are pretty strict. I believe it's not as much for protecting copyright work as it is an attempt to stop authors of getting undeserved point in the competition when using other peoples work.

I'm using the theme music / song from the movie "The Longest Day" for my game D-Day. I wrote the movie company and also the composer asking permission to use it, but never heard back from either of them.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm

P/o Prune wrote:It is mentioned in the rules. I doubt very much that the IF Comp organizers will allow the, otherwise great solution" you mention.

and that if I didn't have permission to use it, and did not acknowledge that in the game

Seemed to imply they might have been fine with it, although someone would have to ask them directly to be sure, and in the meantime it's better not to take chances. I see that disclaimer used a lot in various other places. Although with a lot more real life contact information floating around in the IF community as opposed to most other hobbyist sites, it might be a more tempting target for people looking to sue. In particular using someone's art in a competition with cash prizes might be much more galling to an artist that's otherwise used to their stuff being "borrowed" and popping up without crediting them all over the place.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 pm

The cash prizes available to winners make this a ripe area for litigation. As Lazzah and Lumin point out, if you're a starving artist who normally has their work appropriated in a project that nets $0, you're probably not going to go through the trouble of doing anything legal to stop the appropriation...but if someone made $300 from something featuring your artwork, that's gonna piss you off.

You're still more likely to sue the foundation (which holds thousands of dollars) rather than the developer (who is...well...I assume most of us here don't have vaults of gold or anything)

I do all my own art and it's really time consuming. The cover for "tingalan" took me almost a week (but it's still the closest anything has ever come to matching the image I had in my head)
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Interesting. I get all my art from furry twinks in exchange for pretend dragon money. But it's never come up whether the possibility of my making money would change things for them.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Hmmm interesting.
Would be nice to know ways to "pay" artists for their work. so if anyone know of any artists who is freelance and will work for "whatever" feel free to bring it up.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm

P/o Prune wrote:Hmmm interesting.
Would be nice to know ways to "pay" artists for their work. so if anyone know of any artists who is freelance and will work for "whatever" feel free to bring it up.

Paypal is the standard. It does all the converting to different currencies without a fuss, doesn't take much for transfer fees and it's been around long enough I trust them more than one of the more obscure sites that want to copy them. DeviantArt is the place where you find all the people to do commissions for cash. Whether they're worth it or reliable enough of course can vary from person to person. But looking at their galleries and comments from previous customers can be helpful.

But if you're poor like me you just spend a couple hours a week playing a badly designed browser game way more efficiently than the people that are using it to write character bios and play dress up with their virtual dragons. I can in about two hours make the equivalent of $10 in premium currency, and it adds up much faster than the rate I actually finish writing things I need art for.

Talent levels among socially awkward teenagers who don't understand the value of their time are not always where I'd like them to be of course, and many of them are limited in the sorts of things they're actually good at, but they are universally better than anything I can draw. And fake currency means no real dollars get put on the line dealing with some internet person who might just flake out and ghost you.
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi all,

Further to my original message, I searched for and found the artist of "The Shaman Lady", a guy called Daniel Wikart, and sent him a message asking permission to use his image in my game. I have received no reply so far, so after the competition is over and I am free to release The Call of the Shaman, I will put the cover image back on the title page and also restore the other two images in the game.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm

I had to pay the artist who painted the splash screen of ADRIFT for the right to use it in the application.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to Competitions