ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Annual IF Comp 2019

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby Lumin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 am

rotter wrote:This is spot on, I met a number of the IF big hitters at one of the London get together. Actually one of the meetings was at Emily Shorts house. They do seem to be non-Windows users generally.

That, and one horrifying fact I've had to come to terms with is that for some insane reason, a loooot of people play text games on phones and tablets...
Lumin

Postby Denk » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 am

Lazzah wrote:I didn't think I could upload the game to the ADRIFT website while the competition is running?
I have just sent an e-mail to the organizers asking about this. I will let you know the answer ASAP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Lumin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:14 am

All entries must be previously unreleased at the opening of judging.

There'd be no way to control where a game gets uploaded once the files are out there anyway.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Lumin wrote:
rotter wrote:This is spot on, I met a number of the IF big hitters at one of the London get together. Actually one of the meetings was at Emily Shorts house. They do seem to be non-Windows users generally.

That, and one horrifying fact I've had to come to terms with is that for some insane reason, a loooot of people play text games on phones and tablets...

I tried playing If games on my mobile once but it was a horrible experience. The screen's too small, the keyboard takes up half of the screen and when I clicked on a link, half the time I got the wrong one.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:45 pm

David Whyld wrote:.
I tried playing If games on my mobile once but it was a horrible experience. The screen's too small, the keyboard takes up half of the screen and when I clicked on a link, half the time I got the wrong one.

I think a more CYOA style game is the only kind it would really be worth putting up with a phone for. But a lot of people on the internet really do just use a phone for everything, and Google Play is glutted with CYOA style games.

And as far as laptops go, Chromebooks and Macs seem to be what students wind up with more often than anything now.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:14 pm

Laptops are ok, but you'll never see me playing IF on a phone. I'm totally agreeing with David on this one.
Besides, when I do play IF, it's usually on my spare time and I like to be able to sit at my computer and enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and just engulf myself in a game.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:30 pm

All entries must be previously unreleased at the opening of judging.

Great, I will upload the game to the ADRIFT website tomorrow. P/o Prune, don't forget my points for my recently uploaded games and for entering a game in the competition!
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:00 am

First ADRIFT game review (or the first I've seen anyway) for Skybreak! is at

https://heterogenoustasks.wordpress.com ... -skybreak/

Quite an odd review. Pretty negative about most aspects of the game but ends up giving it 8 out of 10. From the negative tone, I was guessing he'd rate it 3 or 4.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:45 am

David Whyld wrote:

Quite an odd review. Pretty negative about most aspects of the game but ends up giving it 8 out of 10. From the negative tone, I was guessing he'd rate it 3 or 4.

It didn't come off too negative to me, most of the complaints are just about the inventory system.

It isn’t really possible to do more than scratch the surface of this within the comp’s time limit; by the end of that time, I had quit prematurely once and died a couple of times, each time only at the beginning of working on my character’s objectives. There are a lot more character builds to explore; I need to develop better ways of not dying. There’s clearly a ton of longer-arc content that I haven’t got to grips with, and lots of elements I haven’t had the resources to explore. Either in character terms or in worldbuilding, I didn’t really get my teeth into any narrative arcs so much as random adventure and a lot of atmosphere.

An impressive (and somewhat intimidating) piece of work, not being shown off to best effect. 8.

Seems like a fair sum up. It's a gigantic game and if the RNG hates you you may see less interesting parts of it when you've only got two hours to work with.

A couple of us are chatting about it here too: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-l ... sage/25801

Gower beat me to making the thread, but I'll still be making a general IF Comp one and talking up Adrift while at it.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

I dunno. I read a lot of stuff about the game that he disliked, but precious little about what he liked. So when I got to the end of the review and saw he'd rated it 8 out of 10, I was quite surprised.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:11 pm

https://voyageur.space/

Here's that game he kept mentioning. It's $4 on Google Play, but it looks like kind of...grim and edgy sci fi, and Skybreak! avoiding that is a big part of the appeal for me.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 pm

I'll be keeping my comments brief regarding any feedback you see until the end of the comp.

I did however want to plug two other games he mentioned in relation to skybreak!. He mentioned "Out There", which yes I have played, and it's very good. A rare example of a cell phone game that has been made with real love and care. I suggest playing it alone in the dark with good headphones.

He also mentioned "Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom" in his analysis of Skybreak's blurb and cover: https://heterogenoustasks.wordpress.com ... 19-blurbs/
Treasures is a very complicated work of art that I view as sorta the closing of the book on the early 2000s text game scene. I played text games from circa 1998 to 2004-5, and indeed lurked this forum at several points in roughly this period. Treasures was one of the last and best text games I played during this time: https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=8upuvdnsk4sho6ac
It's really good but you need to have the right attitude.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 am

Did Treasures used to cost money? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I bought it years ago, and then played for like ten minutes.

Not that it was bad or anything, I just have a serious problem with buying games to support the devs or because they're on sale and then never getting around to them. My Steam library is a pretty embarrassing display of excess.
Lumin

Postby Denk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 am

To all 2019 IFcomp authors: In case you are not aware, you can request access to the private Author forum on intfiction.org:
https://intfiction.org/t/ifcomp-2019-entrants-group-is-updated-please-request-if-we-missed-you/42629

Among other things, there are several non-public reviews including some ADRIFT games.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am

Lumin wrote:Did Treasures used to cost money? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I bought it years ago, and then played for like ten minutes.

Not that it was bad or anything, I just have a serious problem with buying games to support the devs or because they're on sale and then never getting around to them. My Steam library is a pretty embarrassing display of excess.

I remember a post from the author a while back saying it originally cost money but later on he decided to release it as free. I played it quite a bit when I first discovered it, loved it to bits, but never got around to finishing it. It's one of those many, many games on my Bucket List.
David Whyld

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions