ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Annual IF Comp 2019

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby Denk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:22 pm

So far there has been 5 reviews of ADRIFT games. You can get an overview of reviews with links to each review here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ckhczajybXQMGLltZatUFxfXHqqlYFZQjkk--pt3-I/edit?usp=sharing
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lumin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:55 am

More concerning is the inherent colonialism in the game.

lol
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Yes, that was my concern as well. I haven't been able to sleep since I heard about it. In fact, my life may never be the same again. In fact

(slashes wrists!)

REMEMBER, KIDS: INHERENT COLONIALISM IN IF GAMES IS NO LAUGHING MATTER.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Lumin wrote:
More concerning is the inherent colonialism in the game.

lol

I'm getting a little irritated about how people are bending over backwards to be political correct. (Vomiting smiley)
Maybe we should have a competition about who can write the most political incorrect game? :nerves:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 pm

I often feel political correctness does more harm than good. Every little thing people say is analysed and scrutinised to see if anything offensive can be found (and let's face it, try hard enough and you can find offence in literally anything). It gets to the stage sometimes when you feel that saying 'hello' to someone could be interpreted as offensive by some of the folk on Int.Fiction.

And yes, I like the idea of a politically incorrect game comp. Mine would feature white, male Nazis who discriminate against Jews, especially if they're black and / or gay and / or mentally disturbed. I'll enter it in the IFComp next year and I'm sure the folks on Int.Fiction will love it :)
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm

David Whyld wrote:snip
And yes, I like the idea of a politically incorrect game comp. Mine would feature white, male Nazis who discriminate against Jews, especially if they're black and / or gay and / or mentally disturbed. I'll enter it in the IFComp next year and I'm sure the folks on Int.Fiction will love it :)

If you do that I'm very tempted to give you 1500 point for boldly go where no man has gone before :yeah:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:31 am

That little aside takes up about half the review and made me roll my eyes, but at least he is reviewing things. That guy seems to pop up everywhere on IFDB.

David, Nazis are played out. I guess you'd get points for effort if you went all out like that one 'artistic, educational' board game about transporting Jews in trains that that one professor made, or do some revisionist take on how the Holocaust never really happened (and manage to convince everyone you mean it), but Nazis are low hanging fruit.

No, if you really want to get the internet's panties in a twist, just look at all the attention and controversy the new Joker movie is getting. I haven't seen it yet, but obviously you need to make a game about an incel that becomes a mass killer after he couldn't get the girl (for all the usual reasons incels have about society and the femoid Stacys just being too stupid to appreciate such a nice guy) and make him a sympathetic protagonist.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this with political talk, so I'll just say that I think the elements that turned a lot of us off the main IF scene in the past are easing up a bit now. The thing is (and this came up in conversation with a couple people earlier today) IF will never be a gated community. Anyone can make the games and share them, anyone can vote in the big comps. The more diversity in there the harder it gets for one viewpoint or another take over, so it's definitely a case of anyone who feels there's a problem just needing to roll up their sleeves and make (or at least publicly appreciate) something awesome and more to their taste to help fix it. And IF doesn't feels as niche as it used to. More "normal" gamers and readers are getting into it or are at least aware of it so it's not just the realm of white, liberal university people virtue signaling all over the place any more like it was for a few years there.

Or maybe I'm just weirdly optimistic right now for no reason at all, but I've been enjoying the comp games like I haven't in almost a decade, and I'm really looking forward to next year.
Last edited by Lumin on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:41 pm

You know, somebody could probably take the 2018 thread down now...
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Lumin wrote:You know, somebody could probably take the 2018 thread down now...

Happy now? :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 pm

....is this really the bustling hub of ALL IFComp activity on their 25th anniversary?
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Hardly surprising when they have a forum from the 70's. One look at that eyesore and potential newcomers would run a mile.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 am

A few more reviews have popped up, making it 10 in total now - 4 each for Call of the Shaman and Treasure Hunt in the Amazon and 2 for Skybreak! Skybreak seems to be faring best so far with 2 glowing reviews.

Which reminds me I should probably get around to writing some reviews of my own at some point, which means I should probably play some of the games...
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Last edited by Lumin on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:42 pm

What games have you guys played besides the ADRIFT ones so far? Any recommendations?

I've got a list I'll be getting to starting on the first just based on the blurbs, but if there's anything that's a definite must play please let me know.

So far, Saint City Sinners was a quick diversion with some hilarious writing that I managed to get a few people to check out just by quoting random lines from it.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Um... I haven't actually played any yet. On the plus side, I made the epic step of downloading them just last week so it's just a matter of time now till I get around to playing them.
David Whyld

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions